Hello everybody...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

one_riff_brian

Hello everybody...

Post by one_riff_brian »

... just a quick introduction- not much to announce really, I bought a Seagull (details TBA) from a bloke at a pop festival for a fiver, a barrel to test it in for a tenner, and I'm finally getting round to doing some work on it, and having a nice little link back to my grandfather and uncle's lobster pot boat on the Antrim Coast many years ago. It's spinning freely, and the compression seems good, but no spark yet from the Villiers ignition- I've still got to do the resistance checks and the spinning with the drill manoeuver to remagnetise the permanent magnets. One thing does seem conspicuous by lack of mention, and that's an ignition condenser- is there one? The other questions I'd have would be: what sort of boat to get/not to get? Storage issues dictate an inflatable- are there likely to be any issues taking just anything on my nearest stretches of water, the Thames and the Grand Union Canal? Does anyone know the policy of the Environment Agency and British Waterways on 2-strokes? Thanks for any pointers.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use Gaffa tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.
Hugz

Re: Hello everybody...

Post by Hugz »

I prefer to run my gulls on an old 9ft Metzeler inflatable with the rear extended pointy pontoons. May not be the fastest but is very stable and ideal for two and easy to transport.

Condenser is under the points container.
Attachments
condenser.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome to the forum :D It won't be long before that seagull breeds and your shed will be full of them!

Brendan, our forum admin is putting together a new starter guide as a topic on the forum. It's worht taking a look as we have already added the first "how to" articles.
one_riff_brian

Post by one_riff_brian »

Thanks for all the replies- a quick update, it's SJP585H5 which comes up as a Forty Plus from August 1965. The canal doesn't sound very promising, and an extra detail, the local stretch has a particularly tempting topping of weeds, T-shirts, condoms and Tesco bags- how well do the stock propellers cope with fouling? More progress to follow.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use Gaffa tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Seagulls Love weed you can travel down a weed less stretch for an hour or so. If there’s one small strip of weed your gull will find it. The first indication that you have weed Klingon attached is the tone of the engine changes, speed drops slightly. Kill the power; tilt the motor on its bracket, use a sharp knife to cut away the cursed weed and reset your motor back into motion until you have to repeat the process.
Just one other thing if you have a Villiers carb turn the float bowl round so that the overflow is to the back. This will ensure that you and your boat don’t get covered with fuel on every tilt.

All the best Seagull lovers
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.