Multi-grade gear oil; could this be the demise of Gulls...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

I think getting hung up over small differences in additives when the oil is going to mix with sea water anyway doesnt make a lot of sense, honestly.

Ive been using the NAPA product for a couple of years and dont see any darkening of metals or corrosion etc in my gearboxes of my Fortys or Forty Pluses.
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
TCWest

Post by TCWest »

Sounds good to me. Thanks.
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu
atoyot

Re: Mobil SHC 634 vs. Mobilgear 634

Post by atoyot »

There are two choices there, Rik.
The first is Mobil SHC 634, stock # 4ZF30.
Synthetic Gear Oil
SAE Grade 140

The second is Mobilgear 634, stock # 6Y785.
Industrial Gear Oil
SAE Grade 140
Here's a question about the first option above - elsewhere on the WWW, a chief attribute of this synthetic Mobil 634 is said to be it's ability to remain separated from water, to wit:

"Provides excellent performance in terms of rust and corrosion prevention, water separability, foam control, air release performance ensuring problem-free operation and reduced operating costs in a wide range of industrial and marine applications."

Being as we hope/plan for/expect this heavy oil to mix in our gear cases with seawater into a lubricating agent, is this a good choice? I don't mean to contest the use of this at all; I'm simply trying to be careful about the options before going off to purchase one or the other since I'm a believer in synthetic lubes elsewhere in the engine maintenance world. As it is, we have a Grainger supply store down the road from my employment.

Tnx,

Ted
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
- Prof. Peter Drucker
bigoink

140 grade availability

Post by bigoink »

Here in the Philippines ,140 grade oil is available on every garage forcourt for a measly $2 per litre . Ive stockpiled about 50 gallons of it ........just in case ?
bigoink

Post by bigoink »

charlesp wrote:Nobody has answered the second part of your subject header - will this be the demise of gulls?

No. They'll go on for ever. In a hundred years the other Charles will still be mixing up special potions, and anyway third world nations like ours need goopy oil to keep all the antique tractors running.
Charles ,your dead right .............here in the philippines 140 is available on every garage forcourt for a measly £1.20 a litre ........If youd care to send a 40' container and the money, ill fill it for you ! :x