Anyone have an 'RS' account ?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

SAE140

Anyone have an 'RS' account ?

Post by SAE140 »

Help wanted of a different kind ...

I'd like to order a pack of V12A nitrile V-ring seals from RS, but don't have an account - can anybody assist ? Ebay price: around a fiver each ... RS price 53p. And that doesn't happen often !
dandrews

Re: Anyone have an 'RS' account ?

Post by dandrews »

RS components (or "radiospares" as some of us oldies remember them) certainly used to a business-to-business outfit. But these days you do not need to be a business or set up an account (in the business sense) with them.

I have ordered stuff from rs since before 2007 - you just register your details as a private individual and can order online and pay by credit card like any other web shop. I also use Farnell in the same way. If that does not work for you for some reason, let me know and I'll order some for you. might get some myself.

Best, David.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I bought 8 fuel tap corks from ebay £5.00 inc postage.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
SAE140

Post by SAE140 »

Charles uk wrote:I bought 8 fuel tap corks from ebay £5.00 inc postage.
Ehhrmm - a very good price (indeed !) - but these babies are edge seals for gearbox shafts, not petrol taps !
SAE140

Post by SAE140 »

dandrews wrote:RS components (or "radiospares" as some of us oldies remember them) certainly used to a business-to-business outfit. But these days you do not need to be a business or set up an account (in the business sense) with them.

I have ordered stuff from rs since before 2007 - you just register your details as a private individual and can order online and pay by credit card like any other web shop. I also use Farnell in the same way. If that does not work for you for some reason, let me know and I'll order some for you. might get some myself.

Best, David.
Thanks David - live and learn eh ? - when I used to work in industry (Kodak) - I used to walk into an office with a list and next day the stuff arrived. Never did get involved in the actual ordering. I kinda assumed (on the basis of RS's prices ...!) that it was still ONLY business-to-business.
Info much appreciated. Colin

BTW - RS part no. 749-597 if anybody's planning on keeping the expensive SAE140 inside their gearbox.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can you explain to us how this is going to work?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
dandrews

Post by dandrews »

Previous thread on gearbox oil seals.
http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... 12a#p11271

RS application data
RS Stock No. 749-597
Catalogue page http://uk.rs-online.com/web/0749597.html
V12A nitrile V-ring seal,10.5mm ID
'V'-Ring Seals
Mounting directly onto the shaft, the elastic body holds itself firmly on the rotating shaft while the lip seals axially against the counter face, bearing race, bore housing or similar surfaces.
Typical applications include small electric motors and conveyor rollers, and uses as secondary seals.
Made from solid nitrile rubber
Can be stretched without requiring unit disassembly
Accommodates considerable axial misalignment
Seals effectively on oval shafts
Wide tolerance of shaft sizes
SAE140

Post by SAE140 »

Thanks for that - saved me having to dig the reference data out ...

Yes - these look ideal - certainly worth a try. On some of the fixed drives, there's already a rubber anti-grit washer in place, so these would simply be 'instead of'.

On the S/C/Plus clutch models I have, this seal would fit between the clutch fork arms, and would act as a seal when running, although not with the clutch engaged. Still - can't have everything.

I'm unsure how these seals could be used on the 102 gearbox, as the bush sticks right out to touch the pinned thrust washer, and there's insufficient room on the shaft 'as is'. Maybe removing 4 or 5 mm off the bush is the answer ?
Have to take a look.