Trim Tab designs

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

Re: Trim Tab designs

Post by outboard »

Ill educated, who me??? I certainly do know what a rib looks like, the pointed end boat I was refering to was Skytoy's.
As you say RBT, I haven't tried it out yet so we'll see, maybe it will be ok for enjoying some time on Loch Lomond or the canals. Note I don't say sea, even the i'll educated know it's not for open water.

RBT, before I post anything else in future would you mind if I send it to you first for scrutiny, I'm being slaughtered on every word I say, I'm going to get a complex if it continues. :oops:

A rib would be good, unfortunately the missus doesn't agree.

Gerard
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Gerard dont let them get to you, for my input on this subject. Insted of trim tabs just re-distribute any surplus gear to the bow and all will be well, however i have never used a round tail. The seagull wasnt designed for inflatables, as its not a displacement hull but it works well for me and countless others around the world.
All the best in all of your posts
Graham
P.S. can we all work to support others on this site
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Graham, my faith in there being some human mortals on this forum (RBT excempt) has been restored by your kind words. From calling my vessel a paddling pool, to calling me ill-educated, how much more can this poor soul take. Oh and, having the piss ripped out you by the one you look up to :twisted: . Thank you my friend, I'll refrain from sulking and take heart from you words.

Gerard :wink:
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

woodbutchergraham wrote:The seagull wasnt designed for inflatables,
:lol:
H-A
Attachments
rub.jpg
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

And there is more :wink:

H-A
Attachments
Rub2.jpg
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

And even more, love being able to post pics easily. Thanks Pbroke.

H-A
Attachments
rub3.jpg
rub3.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 498 times
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Apparently it was someone called "skytoy" who called your "boat ?" a paddling pool so RTB should't take all the credit -- sorry blame.
According to my info the higher power seagulls are not suitable for outboards - 2to 3hp are OK and it the throtle lever is set up correctly is 2 1/4" and 45% you can alter engine speed just by raising or lowering the tiller.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Well Gerard, Anoraks' shown overwhelmingly your boat could be just right.
Bloody try it and tell us . . .

You got the wrong end of the stick reading Timberperson's description of other's ill educated opinion of his sailing boat. He was referring to the previous rather lovely pic of of it on the R. Lerryn (with the brown sails).

Buck up, you'll get there - you have made one or two entertaining gaffs . . .

and try that bloody boat -
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Woodbutcher - you're entitled to your opinion -

- however I find this forum more entertaining than 'News of the World' . . .
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Quote .....more entertaining than the news of the world

And Now with more pictures than the Sun.

Because you do not have to register a boat here in australia with under 4 hp I know that even at this low power many use Hydrofoils to help raise the rear despite the low speed .....certainly attaching something to the outboard is easier and more effective than adding to the hull which is this case is non too solid....If the mounting plate /transom can flex however you could end up with foils pulling you down as they need to run about 5 deg up at the front to create lift and if they go negative the transom will be pulled down.

If any one wants a stitch and glue ply boat designed let me know the length beam deadrise and if you want a punt or sharpe bow and I can do it in about 5 min and print out the ply panels ....
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Wow HA did bite on that one, thanks for your collection of advertisements from the 70s. :shock:
But !!!!!! "The Seagull WAS DESIGNED IN THE 30s” for displacement hulls.
Now if Seagull found that in moving with the times, adding inflatable boats in there sales literature increased sales that was their prerogative. This still won’t alter my original statement. :twisted:
As you can see though the round tails still have trimming issues , thus the use of extention tillers.
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Alas you guys kill me. Does anyone have any idea of how to laugh, my skin is thick by I'm not, hence the reason my side's sore with laughing at the comments. 15 years in the shipbuilding industry gave me a bit of an education, ok the engines on the ships were slightly bigger than a seagull, some the size of a 3 storey house, but the knowledge of the vessels and the sea are still alike, bouyancy and lists etc. Yes, my gaffs have been in good spirit, my paddling pool is getting a bit of stick but don't fret lads, Gerard has not taken any of the rash comments to heart, we're on here for some help and a bit of a leg pull.

Thanks HA, it restores my fiath in humans being allowed to use this forum.

RBT, hopefully I'll get the pp in the water this weekend, tiller extension and all.

Gerard
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

About bloody time - I don't think there has been such a lengthy saga with so many chapters on a hypothetical subject -

- I might get out and blow up my diminutive RIB and fit two 102's, just for testing purposes . . .
outboard

Post by outboard »

Well said my good friend, but at least it got some reaction of different kinds.
All going well I will end this link at the weekend with my report on how it went. My tiller extension isn't quite as big as it could be but at least I'll get a bit forward of the stern, not quite midship, but at least my weight should be nearer the bow (where the pointed end usually is). Just out of interest, has anyone any ideas for a bow thruster, hee hee, battery hairdryer maybe??? Sorry, just a bit of p.ss taking regarding my being ill-educated.

Thanks guys for the comments. On a serious note, I was fully aware of the limits of this tender, the manufacturer says (and H.A. said quite rightly), it is only meant for an engine of no more than 2.5hp. Not suitable for open water, but ideal for rivers and sheltered waters.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

i am a little confused as to how some believe an inflatable boat is neither a planing hull nor a displacement hull. so what is it then......hardly a hovercraft? i have an inflatable that weighs 15kg more than a similar sized aluminium dinghy and it wont plane with a century on the back of it.if it is NOT a displacement vessel it will certainly do till i get one!