tiller extension redux

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bruce nickerson

tiller extension redux

Post by bruce nickerson »

Will try to limit my questions to one per post, as multipart questions seem to generate responses on only one part of the question.

Tiller extension is simple enough. BUT has anyone any experience with locating the throttle lever on the end of an extension?
mrdraddy

Post by mrdraddy »

Hi,not had any experiance with your problem but think all you would need is a longer throttle cable?
regards paul
bruce nickerson

mrdraddy:

That's something I had thot of too, and a longer cable from a bicycle repair shop should work very well if ends of cable could be made to fit throttle lever and carburettor. However, when I start on somethiong like this it always ends up "Well, whilst I am at it, why don't I also..." and in this case I want to make the tiller and throttle extension easily removable so that motor can be moved from boat to boat with minimum fuss. An earlier post memntioned a fork like end for the throttle extension that engaged the throttle lever- would be interested in a picture or sketch of such a solution.
goldote

Post by goldote »

StephenRT

Post by StephenRT »

You could always fit an Amal twistgrip throttle and then use one of the commercially available telescopic tiller extensions.
bruce nickerson

goldote:
Just what I was looking for, TYVM. Any more details? Would help me avoid reinventing the wheel.

StephenRT:
Where can I find such a twistgrip throttle?
StephenRT

Post by StephenRT »

Have a look here, http://www.oro2u.com in the throttles and cables section.

Item 12-804 is the type you want,it has a straight pull.
British Seagull used to sell these for the later motors,it might be worth asking John .
I have seen normal motorcycle twistgrips used for Seagulls,they will work, but to my mind don't look right.They do crop up periodically on ebay.
You could easily make up a suitable cable using bicycle brake cable.
Propwash

Tiller extension

Post by Propwash »

I used a paint roller extension from B&Q, Works quite well when under way but throttle is still in original position.
Propwash
Propwash

Post by Propwash »

A telescopic type. twist - extend, twist- retract.
Propwash
mrdraddy

Post by mrdraddy »

Propwash,what a great idea! if Bruce were to combine that with a longer throttle cable then i think that could be the answer,
regards paul