Seagul on ebay in OZ

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

ausie

Seagul on ebay in OZ

Post by ausie »

A motor for sale here has the serial # 646kk4 according to the seller who also claims it goes.

What model could this be?....he said it has a square head with cooling fins.

Is this worth looking at?

Thanks Al.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

It is worthwhile looking at the SOS website to understand how to identify the different Seagull models from crankcase stampings and also from example photographs of each model.

[url]http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... ll.htm[url]

You need to find the engine type letters stamped in front of the serial number to determine the model. You only have the serial number and KK4 which are the month letters and year number. (In this case 1974 and October. ) There are many fine Seagull bargains appearing on Ebay here in the UK but there are frequently also "bitsa" motors made up from several different engines/models! Probably the same situation down under. Caveat emptor!
ausie

Post by ausie »

Thanks for that.

I have an old '40s 102 #SD61 ( yet to be refurbished) so know where to find the number but the seller didn't & could only find the number I mentioned which does not tell me much.Also the pics he submitted were too dark to see any detail.

He has been bid only A$90.00 in one bid and with lots of Ausie Seagul hunters probably watching they must know something about this motor that I don't.Even non-goers bring a couple of hundred dollars.

Might give it a miss....which will please my wife who is getting quite concerned that I have said I'm going to collect a few more Seaguls of different models to play with on the wooden boats that I have built!....women just don't seem to understand do they?

Al.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

40TPI wrote: There are many fine Seagull bargains appearing on Ebay here in the UK but there are frequently also "bitsa" motors made up from several different engines/models! Probably the same situation down under. Caveat emptor!
Hi, it seems to be less of a problem here down-under probably as there are less of them floating around to cannilbalise. Mind you if I found a clutched bottom end for my favourite I could be tempted. Ebay seems to take the fun out of collecting as everything is so easily available (maybe not Marstons tho!)

Cheers Hugo.
Forums are for entertainment and information.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

ausie wrote:
He has been bid only A$90.00 in one bid and with lots of Ausie Seagul hunters probably watching they must know something about this motor that I don't.Even non-goers bring a couple of hundred dollars.
Hi Al,

Wouldn't get too excited, serious bidding only happens in last few minutes. Can't say it excites me. In my book a seagull has to have a brass tank.

What is it anyway? Silver century?

Cheers Hugo.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

What is it anyway? Silver century?
Hugo,

your pictured motor (at least) has a Century block. Carb is port side.

Peter
ausie

Post by ausie »

Hey Hugo,

My old 102 has a (dinted) brass tank!

Looking at your little collection,you might be of assistance when I get around to bringing my motor back to life?

May I contact you when that time arrives?

Thanks.

Al.
ausie

Post by ausie »

Also, that motor on ebay went for only $142....either a bargain or someyhing not quite right?....I don't know enough about the local Seagul market to judge.

Al.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

ausie wrote:Hey Hugo, My old 102 has a (dinted) brass tank! Looking at your little collection,you might be of assistance when I get around to bringing my motor back to life? May I contact you when that time arrives?
Thanks. Al.
Happy to help. Haven't had a lot of troubleshooting experience as they always go. Clean the carby, tank and lines and a new sparkplug, fresh gearbox oil and a brutal backflush and away they go.
ausie wrote:Also, that motor on ebay went for only $142....either a bargain or someyhing not quite right?....I don't know enough about the local Seagul market to judge. Al.
Remember it is at lower south coast.... bit of a hassle getting it back to civilisation. It's not exactly a soughtafter collectors item. I'm getting a bit picky about which motors I'm after now. Even thinking of letting my '82 102 (as featured on 102 page on SOS) go.

Bought a long range brass fuel tank on ebay for my century the other day.... 2 dollars!

Cheers Hugo.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

ooops! Couldn't help myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Seagull-Outboard ... dZViewItem

Cheers Hugo