102 plus long shaft

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

StephenRT

102 plus long shaft

Post by StephenRT »

I have a 1946 102 plus long shaft.The exhaust tube has a couple of dents in it which I would like to remove.My idea is to make a mandrel which is a sliding fit in the tube and has a taper at one end.The idea is to then draw it through the tube with a long piece of threaded bar which will hopefully push out the dents from within.
Has anyone tried anything like this or have any better ideas?

I am also looking for an original flywheel cover plate,can anyone help?
Thanks
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

Check with John at SOS for bits and parts if in the UK. If you are in the States there are several options for parts to save on the UK shipping costs. John has most of these dealers listed on his Links.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

HI Stephen - I have had success in getting dents out of an exhaust tube, where I used a round billet probably about two-thirds the diameter of the tube, clamped in a vice, sliding the exhaust tube over to get the dent backed up by the billet, and gently panel beating around the top edge of the dent crater.
Being brass, the tubes yield quite easily to this treatment. Some heat might help, but I didn't find it necessary.
I think that drawing a tapered mandrel through the tube won't have enough of a localised effect to push the dents out. Rick
StephenRT

102 plus long shaft

Post by StephenRT »

Rick. Thanks for your thoughts on this.Your way sounds an easier option than mine,the only misgiving I have is damaging the chromium plating.Did you use a steel panel beating hammer or a hide/rubber faced one?Steve
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hi Stephen - I used a rubber 'deadblow' type hammer, but I would also have been happy enough to use a steel hammer. I wasn't worried about the chrome as I was having the tube replated anyway (my motors have usually needed the exhaust and drive tubes replated).
Chrome is quite brittle and often fractures if distorted - is yours OK in the area of the dents? Rick