Hello, from new forum member.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JimCameron

Hello, from new forum member.

Post by JimCameron »

Greetings from Ft. Pierce, Florida, USA. My first Seagull was in the 70's and today I finally cranked up the Forty Plus that has been sitting in storage for pushing 10 years. It sure did!!! Cranked right up. Well, not "right" up, but after a little prodding, she ran quite well.

I wonder if someone could give me the starting sequence for this gem. The years, and hard living, have dimmed my memory.

I would appreciate any additional tips or suggestions for cleaning up, occassional running, and storage of this wonderful outboard. Apparently, I've done something right in the past, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know of any service mechanic in Florida? There use to be one in Ft. Lauderdale, but I do not believe they are still there.

Thanks for a great site, and I'm most happy to have found other afficianatos. :D
Jim Cameron
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Hello Jim

Fresh Gas, Good quality oil mixed in correct proportion (browse the FAQ to get this correct oil and mix on your motor of course)

You should check the gearbox oil too on a motor that has been sitting on its nest for a while.

Full throttle and pull away. IN warm florida you might not need the choke at all - I find in 80F weather up here in NY summer I do not need to choke the motor.

If it doesnt start in one or two pulls, something is wrong.

British Seagull ships a mechanic with every motor....YOU!!!!

:D
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
JimCameron

Post by JimCameron »

CatiGull wrote:Hello Jim

British Seagull ships a mechanic with every motor....YOU!!!!

:D
I will do my best. :wink: ................and consider a set of oars. :shock:

Thanks for the welcome. I really like these old motors. Everytime I see mine, I feel good.

Jim Cameron
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Nice fish....

What do you use to catch those guys?
JimCameron

Post by JimCameron »

charlesp wrote:Nice fish....

What do you use to catch those guys?
I caught that one on a "Zara Spook Jr." in a white with yellow color. The Zara is a "top water" plug that floats, but casts decent distances. It is then "walked" on the top of the water when you wind in your line. I was using a med/light spinning rod/reel made by Daiwa. The fish, known locally as a "Red" because of the copper/red color, is widely known as a Redfish, Red Drum and Channel Bass. I caught this one last week in Florida's "Mosquito Lagoon" not too far from Daytona Beach, Florida. They are tasty fish that were/are very popular in New Orleans, and cooked in iron skillets with spicy powders and known as "Blackend Redfish". They are great fish to catch and fight with great strength and determination.

Reds are very easily spooked and having a boat that is very, very quiet is an absolute must. Inshore in the Lagoon, most boats are equiped with electric trolling motors, (which must be used on low speeds because of noise) or polled around from polling platforms mounted on the back of the boat.

After this photo, the Red was safely released back into the Lagoon to grow up a little and comeback for a rematch. :D
Jim Cameron
Swami

Post by Swami »

JimCameron wrote: .......Reds are very easily spooked and having a boat that is very, very quiet is an absolute must.......
Then what are you doing fishing from a boat with a Bristish Seagull :o :P
JimCameron

Post by JimCameron »

Swami wrote:
JimCameron wrote: .......Reds are very easily spooked and having a boat that is very, very quiet is an absolute must.......
Then what are you doing fishing from a boat with a Bristish Seagull :o :P
...as I was writing this, I thought how crazy this sounded. Swami, nothing is getting by you. :lol:

It's tough enough catching them with a quiet electric trolling motor, I believe if I ran into the Lagoon with a B/S, the Reds would vacate forever. :cry:

Regards,
jim
Jim Cameron
enrico

Post by enrico »

Well Im a new member too, sailing my grandfathers old Fourty in Denmark.

I couldn´t help laughing about fishing quietly. I solved the problem this way (see oicture)

Regards Lars Guldager Image[/quote]
JimCameron

Post by JimCameron »

enrico wrote: I solved the problem this way Regards Lars Guldager Image
[/quote]

Lars

Great minds think alike. An Electric trolling motor is the only way to go.

Regards from Florida.
jim
Jim Cameron
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Jim - silly thing to add after the fact. A new spark plug and a new prop spring are both things you should carry with your motor at all times.

Cheers CatiGull
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

You're right about a spare plug.

But in the eighties British Seagull published a drawing in their owners' newsletter explaining how to use a short length of string or rope instead of a new string to 'get you home'. If only I could fathom out how to put a scanned drawing up here I'd do so.

Afer all every sailor always has spare rope around!