Fuel air Mixture question

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Pillpopper

Fuel air Mixture question

Post by Pillpopper »

Hi

I finally got my Forty Plus (about 1964) on the estuary this weekend for a spot of fishing .
It ran really well with the current but struggled ++ against the tide and burnt a lot of fuel.
I'm using E5 97 RON super unleaded with the Alcohol removed (10 : 1) . Not added yet, but I'm planning to add back a bit of octane with lead replacement stuff (if this is sensible )
As the fuel ran out and the mix had more air it ran beautifully again
has a standard Villiers carb , flywheel combo
Is there a way of adjusting the the mix to make to generally run leaner ?
to be fair I haven't checked the timing as it was running well in a bucket without load

(PS caught 2 seabass :) but put them back as a smidge too small )
Journeyman

Re: Fuel air Mixture question

Post by Journeyman »

You can adjust the height of the needle on the Villiers carb. Undo the ring on the top of the carb and lift the piston and needle out. There is a small screw on the top of the piston usually set level with the top. Screw it down to weaken the mix don’t overdo it. Timing is set and can not be altered. Although points gap will alter the timing so get it right.
Standard Seagulls are so low compression you don’t need to play with the fuel and other parameters.

Dave.
Pillpopper

Re: Fuel air Mixture question

Post by Pillpopper »

thanks for the reply
the needle screw is set level so I'll play around with that. I generally clean the fuel for my old lawnmowers that have a lot of brass bits in the carbs etc
the alcohol makes a complete mess of them especially if left stored over winter ( same is true for modern garden 2 strokes. Completely gums up the funny little carbs they have )
And I'll clean the points :)

Does anyone know if the Villers coils / points etc on the Seagull is the same as on the Atco / Villiers 12/ 14 inch 2 stroke Mowers from the 50.s and 60.s ?
I have quite a few lying around and they look similar. If no one knows I'll get testing (they are pretty pristine as never seen saltwater )