Spanner jaw sizes

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Donald A

Spanner jaw sizes

Post by Donald A »

Now here’s a bit of gold for newcomers to this web site!
It’s a very well researched, comprehensive, well structured and well drafted compilation of the different jaw sizes appropriate to the different bolt sizes and systems . As far as I can make out, the author Paul Crawford was an engineering lecturer at the Dundee College of Technology.

When I accessed it about 6 years or so ago, it was quite simple to find, but now it is embedded in another site so I thought I would post a note here in the hope it is as useful to others as it has been to me
Put in Crawford Space Communications Ltd to Google and it should come up with the home page of www.crawford-space.co.uk where one can see a somewhat sardonic reference to a paper on spanner jaw sizes - it’s about 12 pages long and I suggest you print out 2 sets, one for the workshop and one for the file
Good luck!
Donald
Nudge

Re: Spanner jaw sizes

Post by Nudge »

Interesting read. Thankyou for the link.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
geofflena

Re: Spanner jaw sizes

Post by geofflena »

yes - interseting stuff - sad to be reading about nuts on a Sat night - but my wilder days are over !

He's right on stainless cheap stuff. I bought some stainless A2 self tappers for some fixing on a mates canal boat from Toolstation - I broke one off in the pilot hole with a hand held screwdriver - it just sheared off mid thread. Sort of defeats the object of a self tap ?

Interesting on torque settings and lube type - I have often thought that. I seem to remember Yanmar saying oil thread of head studs with engine oil for head stud torque - but no one says other lube type may upset settings ?. I generally would use coper grease rather than oil ?