Interesting pre war seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JERSEYMAN

Interesting pre war seagull

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Hi All, trolling through eBay as one does I spotted this motor, although the sellers photos were not clear I saw that the crank cases were stamped DOP, a pre war seagull with a Marston origin, they were usually a reincarnation of the Marston OP but apparently modified by British Seagull to a spring drive prop at a later date, what I found interesting is the number 553 on the cases denotes a Marston OG from 1935 which had a FNR gearbox and now has been reincarnated into a humble direct drive DOP which probably dates to just before the war... or not!! It could just have been the crank cases as pretty much all the rest is later, the gear box has the oil nipples on the starboard side so that’s probably OP as early SD’s had them starboard as well but they were clutched, the carb is also pre war, the rest is later.

I thought I would take a chance and as I was the only bidder it was mine for £55

I was away at the time but when I returned a friend of mine had put it in the garage, the one thing I wanted to look at was if it had a round or square driveshaft as that makes all the difference as Marston and pre war Seagulls are all round. I lifted off the power head and there it was.... round

So to me it’s worthy of putting it back to original as the parts become available. I’m intrigued with these motors and what British seagull did with them, almost recycled them with the bits they had.
Attachments
0F55F1DF-AC10-4744-8B40-D8962E14C33E.jpeg
DD735D90-F3A0-496D-88D2-E16E461EA315.jpeg
D7A00168-E825-48B3-B110-7252F1818826.jpeg
ED6A00FE-4A90-4665-818F-257C072E3D3A.jpeg
76E2BFA1-A97F-4DA2-9300-58B5C97A97B4.jpeg
Charles uk

Re: Interesting pre war seagull

Post by Charles uk »

Well spotted Rene!

What are you hoping to end up with, DOP, SD or an AD as you've got parts from all of them.

It wasn't to dear for a good SD cylinder & piston.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
JERSEYMAN

Re: Interesting pre war seagull

Post by JERSEYMAN »

As I’ve been away I’m stuck with this self isolation so into the workshop, I’ve managed to find some period Marston parts, I’m lucky to have had a spare ignition and flywheel of roughly the right year, JM 1984 number stamped on the flywheel and baseplate, I’ve put an early straight out of the back exhaust/pump housing, not quite correct as the original would probably have had a rudder pintle that all pre war gulls seem to have but close enough for now, fitted the correct type prop although a little later as well as the correct barrel, carb float chamber, inlet trumpet, fuel tap, throttle lever and steel tiller although the original may have been chromed, so all I need now is the patience to find a fuel tank with the filler in the middle, one piece tank mount, pump housing with pintle and a transom mount although the bronze skeleton I’ve used is pretty, quite rare and only a few years younger, saying that the original would be nice. :P

Is all this worth it?? Or have I used up my scarce Marston spares :roll:

One nice thing though, amazingly it’s got a spark, may try to fire her up later...
Attachments
5C493A6D-F994-49B7-9750-77BE59CA9A32.jpeg
FB28ED9E-1710-46E5-BECB-66AC07DDAAB8.jpeg
D76D4615-C5C8-40B5-8FBE-DB0DFEBD3439.jpeg