Prop removal issues.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Griffin71

Prop removal issues.

Post by Griffin71 »

I need advice I have a Seagull 40 which Iam currently restoring.
I have never pulled one of these engines apart before and I have been slowly making my way through seized bolts.
One problem which I have is how does the prop come off? :oops: This is a simple engine so after taking off the washer and spring the prop moves so far and then sticks should this just pull off or is there something I am missing? :oops:
I think there maybe a bit of damage on the shaft which the prop is catching on. :cry:
Any ideas?
Qualified Cable tie Technician.
Keith.P

Re: Prop removal issues.

Post by Keith.P »

No you not missing anything, every one says a little heat helps a lot, they can be a pain to get off, rather than pulling it off try winding it off.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Most times when the prop is not removed for a very long time, the slot in which the spring sits in the shaft gets wider.

Crimp/squeeze the end of the prop shaft at the end after the spring split so that it is the same diameter as the rest of the protruding shaft.

Gentle heat of the prop and it will come off the shaft. This makes the hub and logically the bush within a larger diameter .......

Hope that helps.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

OR
push the prop back on and try a quick rub with some emery paper on the end of the shaft which helps remove the burrs (as per Bruce's suggestion) then with any luck it should pull/twist off.

Jon
Griffin71

Post by Griffin71 »

Thank you for the info, got it off emery and winding it off did not need the heat in the end. 8)
Qualified Cable tie Technician.