Australian Riptide Fisherman

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Australian Riptide Fisherman

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

Yesterday I went and picked up my homegrown Australian outboard, a 4hp Riptide Fisherman.
Horizontally opposed twin, supposed to push a boat between 6-8mph when running properly.

At first glance, nothing too horribly wrong... With a closer look, it seems like it is rooted. Cylinders supposed to have 65psi each, but when tested dry one has 2psi and the other 75psi.
Studs are different sizes for each cylinder head, wrong carbie, no spark after taking necessary steps.
A scoop has been added to help it suck more water in, and more holes drilled for water intakes. After having one head off (it was only held on by finger tight nuts) it is obvious someone has tried to 'fix' the piston with a grinder... Not an ideal scenario.

All in all, I'm not impressed, especially as it was a swap for my nice AD18082.

See pics below.
I'm trying to decide whether to hang on to it and try getting it running or just take it back and get another Aussie outboard.

Cheers
BP
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
AusAnzani

Re: Australian Riptide Fisherman

Post by AusAnzani »

Sorry to hear hat Boyd.

Might still be worth hanging on to and restoring IF the green machine has the spares for it.

Check with him first aye. You never know what you'll find in his shed!

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hang on to it. You might need it for parts later on. I'm after the front handle for one of these :P I like the sound of them.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Boyd

As discussed. Please return it as it is too much a parts motor.

Be patient as a better one will turn up. You do not need unknown parts when you do not yet have one that just requires a couple of bits and bobs.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Hi All

After discussion with B and some others I was in two minds whether to either take it back (as B suggests) or to try and restore it and get it running again.
I pondered for a while what to do, and decided to fully strip it down to see how it is internally.

After about half an hour (and no heat or penetrating fluid used) she is now down to the bare bones, and it actually isn't as bad internally as I originally anticipated. Rings are good, rods are good, crank is good, pistons are good (apart from the 'modification' with the grinder), no cracks in the blocks but I cannot get the head off with the oversize studs in it.
I now intend to keep it after looking at it stripped down and restore it, cosmetically and mechanically back to its former glory.
An AMAL twin-jet carbie will be used as no original Riptide carbie in sight.

Happy. 8)

Cheers
BP
Attachments
P4181552.JPG
P4181551.JPG
P4181547.JPG

Member SOS, AOMCI,
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Another interesting project. It would be boring if there were no historical bodges to fix :P
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good decision. We can keep an eye out for a carb for it. I had to have my heads rebuilt and had some gaskets laser cut.

AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Boyd,

In my opinion you've made the right decision albeit that you now need to begin the search for a replacement piston, barrel, head and carby. Discuss with SG if you haven't already done so. I'm sure he would be happy to look through his shed for the parts needed and/or alternative to help ease the pain so to speak.

As discussed last night, replacement rings are available at approx. A$18 + GST each. If you are looking for a nice runner in the end, then a set of 4 would be worth considering. At the very least I would consider 2 to be essential ie if you cant get a matched barrel, piston and ring set of another engine.

Alternative to all options presented thus far, is to keep it but hold off on the resto until another comes along. With many of these earlier outboards, you often need two or more to make one really nice one.

When you get a chance, please send me the serial number (usually located on the crank case) as I have been recording those over the last 12 months or so.

PS: B - for the record, I fully understand where you're coming from also.

Regards,
S
AusOB_Collector

by AusAnzani » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Boyd,

In my opinion you've made the right decision albeit that you now need to begin the search for a replacement piston, barrel, head and carby. Discuss with SG if you haven't already done so. I'm sure he would be happy to look through his shed for the parts needed and/or alternative to help ease the pain so to speak. As discussed last night, replacement rings are available at approx. A$18 + GST each. If you are looking for a nice runner in the end, then a set of 4 would be worth considering. At the very least I would consider 2 to be essential ie if you cant get a matched barrel, piston and ring set of another engine.

Regards,
S
Thanks for your input S. The rings are actually very good... I've been thinking about how I could possibly change back to oversize studs (1/2 UNC) back to the original (1/4 UNC)... as the owner who did the repairs has drilled right into the water jacket, I may just try either -

a) finding helicoil inserts that can thread in to the existing holes which may take it down to 7/16ths or similar
b) keeping the oversize studs but getting slightly longer ones so the nuts can actually thread on.

As the cylinder head holes have been drilled out as well they wold have to be modified as well. Right now, i'm thinking just getting longer studs will work, but it'll look a bit out of scale; as long as I can get it running nicely then I'm happy.

Both cylinder bores are perfect with no scoring. After talking to SG again today all of the Riptides he had for parts have already been sold on so I'm on my own!! :shock: :lol:

Pics of today's progress coming soon.

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Sounds like a basket case to me.

Best bet is to put aside and wait for another to come along or sell as a parts motor to another collector/restorer.

Regards
S