Outbd. manufacturers

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

Outbd. manufacturers

Post by Adrian Dale »

An academic question: how many outbd.manufactures were in existence from 1900 through to 1960. and their company name?

Me thinks it would be a very long list.....

AJ
Keith.P

Re: Outbd. manufacturers

Post by Keith.P »

I would say so, not including well known outboard makers. A lot of manufacturers dipped their toes into making outboards, most if not all are de-funked now, with very limited information on most of them.
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Adrian

Are you thinking of focusing this list on outboard manufacturers around the world, or just for the UK or what?

As there were so many at one point or another, it would be easier to list if we can specify a place...

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I had no real intent in mind other than curiosity. I know nothing about other manufacturers excepting a couple of the obvious, nor have I seen anything relating to the older manufacturers. I suspect it would be of more than a passing interest to many on this site and a good talking point.

It would be a great starting point to look at the US first as that is where I understand that the very first engines were developed. I did try to google but only got a smattering of manufacturers although I did turn up a complete list of current manufacturers which was dominated by China, Korea and Japan. Here is that list, unashamedly plagiarised from the net and not checked for accuracy.

• Alpha Int'L Industrial & Trading Co., Ltd. - Chinese Outboard manufacturer
• ATima - Chinese Outboard
• Bombardier makes Evinrude and Johnson
• Briggs & Stratton Gas & Electric Outboards small outboards
• British Seagull Outboards parts only
• Chongqing Fano Development Company - small outboard from China
• Chuanlaoda outboards - small outboards from China
• Gull Outboards small outboards
• Hidea small outboards from Hangzhou Hidea Power Machinery Co. of China
• Honda Marine
• Hyfong small outboards built by Zhejiang Shunfeng Power Machinery Manufacture Co. in China. Also at Hyfong Outboards
• Mainbon Shanghai Mainbon Industry Co. very small outboard from China
• Mercury Marine
• Marine Power Mercury's European group
• Nautic Outboards
• Nissan
• ParsunEngines.com Chinese outboards
• Ruggerini diesel outboards from Italy
• Selva Marine Outboards Italy
• Sail Chinese outboards built by Jiangsu Tiger Yacht Manufacture Co.
• Shunfeng small outboards built by Zhejiang Shunfeng Power Machinery Manufacture Co. in China
• Sprint Marine outboards from China
• Star - Chinese outboards
• Sun Jin Dynamics small outboards from Korea
• Suzuki U.S.
• Suzuki Japan
• Yamaha-Motor North America
• Yamaha-Motor European
• Yamaha-Motor Japanese
• Zongshen by Chongqing Zongshen - Selva Marine (joint venture between Chongqing Zongshen Industrial Group and Selva Marine) small outboards from China
• Zongshen also called Chongqing Zongshen, small gas and diesel outboards from China

AJ
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Ok
That helps a lot.
America started with the Waterman Porto motor made by Cameron Waterman just before the turn of the 20th century.
Evinrude started selling outboards in 1909, but there was a few other companies that tried making some in between with no success.
Caille, Lockwood, Sweet and motorgo were other brands that produced rowboat motors in the early 1900's.
I would recommend reading the old outboard book by Peter Hunn as he lists all the outboard manufacturers in America, the U.K. And Australia.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think someone has just come up with a never ending task, to my knowledge there were almost 70 different manufacturers in the UK & no doubt there were many more.

But many changed names when taken over, like "Marston/ British Seagull" does this count as 1 or 2?

Just like Australia, someone would produce a cheap working leg, bracket & lower unit that all the wantobe outboard builders could buy & bolt a readily available industrial power unit on top off & call an Ocean or Seabee.

Perhaps it's fortunate that Peter Hunn was limited by his publisher on chapter & page count so he could say "that's enough", though they can't be too upset as his "Old Outboard Book" (ISBN-13:978-0-07-138309-7) & a recommended addition to any bookshelf, has sold over 30,000 copies.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Thanks Ill check Amozon to see if copies are still available.

AJ
Sandro Picchio

Post by Sandro Picchio »

I would add a name to the list.
In the '50s Piaggio, the maker of Vespa motor scooter, made a twin outboard named Moscone. A good few were sold in Italy, then production were abandoned.
A curiosity about names: Vespa, the scooter, means wasp, Ape, the three-weeled miniminitruck means honey bee, Moscone, the outboard, means big fly.

Happy new year to all.
Sandro