1961 Forty Plus Coil

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

robhc1000

1961 Forty Plus Coil

Post by robhc1000 »

Hi gents,
Looks like the coil has failed on my 1961 forty plus, im after a replacement or a wipac mk2 ignition and fly wheel set up if anyone has either for sale?
Rob
Oyster 49

Re: 1961 Forty Plus Coil

Post by Oyster 49 »

Replacement coils are available from Villiers Parts or Villiers Services. Have you tried John for a Wipac magneto? There are several listed on ebay at the moment, but I would recommend talking to John first.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Before you fix it, ensure it's broken!

Clean the points again really well, set the points to 20 thou, & replace the spark plug lead, there are several posts on here, explaining how to change the cable, buy a cheap rubber plug cap that will fit over an 18mm spark plug.

Place your finger into the plug cap so it comes into contact with the connector & place your other hand on the cylinder head, ask a friend to give the starter rope a good pull, if your not shouting what a bastard I am, your ignition needs replacing!

Very few people are confident that their ignition is dead enough to do this!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Oyster 49 wrote:Replacement coils are available from Villiers Parts or Villiers Services. Have you tried John for a Wipac magneto? There are several listed on ebay at the moment, but I would recommend talking to John first.
I will try John first, have been reading threads on getting aftermarket coils and soldering bits but not 100% confident to do that.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Charles uk wrote:Before you fix it, ensure it's broken!

Clean the points again really well, set the points to 20 thou, & replace the spark plug lead, there are several posts on here, explaining how to change the cable, buy a cheap rubber plug cap that will fit over an 18mm spark plug.

Place your finger into the plug cap so it comes into contact with the connector & place your other hand on the cylinder head, ask a friend to give the starter rope a good pull, if your not shouting what a bastard I am, your ignition needs replacing!

Very few people are confident that their ignition is dead enough to do this!
Lol, love the idea but will get friend to hold ht lead and I will pull cable :lol: I have 2 seagull coils and 1 seabee one and not getting a reading from any of them so hoping its a multi meter issue.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That wasn't a joke, this was the way ignitions were tested for viability before DCM's grew affordable.

You need to feel if it's a mild tingle or a belt.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Charles uk wrote:That wasn't a joke, this was the way ignitions were tested for viability before DCM's grew affordable.

You need to feel if it's a mild tingle or a belt.
Sorry, I was taking your answer seriously, I'm sure my wife would like the opportunity to assist me if it resulted in me getting a shock for "leaving dirty bits of old engine all over the place!"
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Good thought, Charles. Many a dead coil; isn't actually dead. Cleaning properly and gapping accurately (and cleaning again and again) has brought more than one coil of mine back to life.

A known good HT lead is worth a try, too. My mate Andy (of this forum) reckons that a new HT lead is the very first thing to try.

Good luck.

And good luck too with your scheme to get the missus to help...
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

A tingle by hand rotation gives the general condition.

By all means get a Mate to pull it over with as described hand placements.

A belt is somewhat disconcerting but a good indication as to what you have. If you have a pacemaker or similar maybe not.

You will let it go on the third rotation if all is well.

Mates pull HARD remember :lol:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others