Which Seagull do I want?

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Heron Addict

Which Seagull do I want?

Post by Heron Addict »

Newbie and beginner here, so looking to be pointed in the right direction if possible. I have only had limited use of seagull engines back in the 80s when on pike fishing trips in Scotland. I am now interested ion purchasing one to take on fishing trips on rivers in southern France.

I have been browsing all of the ebay adverts and trying to figure which motor will suit my needs, then I found this place.

I am after a small outboard that I can use to push our fishing boats over greater distances and hopefully a little quicker than our electric trolling motor. The seagull will probably only be used on a 2.9m hypalon inflatable with an inflatable keel. The boat has maximum weight carrying capacity of 510kg and weighs 36kg on its own. However it will need to push this with two anglers and a mountain of fishing and camping gear. Tents, food, fishing tackle, bait, enough beer for up to a week! Occassionally we may tow another lightweight 3m inflatable to fit more gear (and beer) in if necessary.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best seagull for the job? t is likely that the seagull will live in France and probably only get used for two to three weeks a year although my friend will look after it while it is overwintering etc.

I appreciate I will need a crash course on seagull maintenance and repair, but then thats part of the fun!

Cheers
Heron Addict

Re: Which Seagull do I want?

Post by Heron Addict »

OK I should have done all the reading I have just done this evening prior to posting. Am also aware that this is probably in the wrong bit of the forum? Feel free to move if necessary.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am leaning towards a 40 plus short shaft version, which, from what I have read would do the job nicely for me. Preferably a later version with a clutch?

Had a look on ebay, there are one or two about. None mention clutches though (are these rare on the 40 plus?). If anybody out there has one for sale, or can point me towards one, then I'd be very grateful.

:D
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... eagull.htm

This link will bring you to a beyond excellent summary of the models, thier characteristics and specs. If you look around here you can also get a sense of what parts cost what from the folks who bring us this site. There is also alot of info here on repairing and trouble shooting. It would be very prudent to spend a couple hours reading in these sections so as to be able to determine what 30 year old outboard is a good deal for what you want and what outboard would be a labor of love. You cannot go far wrong with these as long as you don't spend too much on the original purchase (unless......). Even if what you buy turns out to be a parts motor when taken apart they barely fill a sock drawer.

Myself I have never used an inflatable much and never used one with a seagull but I would guess that due to the fact that seagulls are designed for displacement craft you would be well served by one.

If you know the thrust rating of your electric motor you can do a rough comparison with the original seagull specs.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I putt around in a three metre Metzeler with an inflatable keel. I've run a forty on it and found it works well enough but needs to run at higher revs which I find annoying. Apart from the weight of lugging around a century I have found that to be more suitable. I run on about one third throttle which is less audibly disturbing. The extra grunt is handy if I wish to surf waves of bigger displacement vessels.

My preference is an early 1947 AD 102. Brass tank, looks impressive and quieter though less powerful than a century. From what you describe I would suggest a century/silver century short shaft with clutch. Make sure that it has good water output and there are no cracks/bulges on the block. They are probably the most common motor so shouldn't be hard to acquire. Try to find one one that has lived inland away from salt water.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

A seagull on a rubber duck seems so wrong better getting a small honda or merc, would suit it better. Seagulls belong on wooden boats :roll: :D :D :lol: :lol: :roll:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Seeing the sailorman logo has one on his shoulder........ inflatable that is :lol:

And

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/im ... b%2006.jpg
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

I am sure one of members in Ayrshire has a rubber dinghy or should that be airshire. Many adverts show seagulls on rubber dinghys.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Heron Addict

Post by Heron Addict »

Thanks for the replies chaps, some excellent advice and wow we have a varied geographical spread of members dont we!

Don't want to rock the boat by suggesting heresy here, i.e. using an inflatable :)

The boats we use have to be able to be wrapped up and chucked in the back of a hire van, so inflatables seem to do the trick. I agree they do lack character though! I am just looking for an outboard to do the intended job, not looking to use a motor for sentimental reasons (although I do like the look of the seaguls and I am sure I'd enjoy using one)I will only be able to use it once or twice a year myself (although my friend may tinker with it, in between times in France), so it needs to be usuable with only periodic use and maintenance, fixable on the river bank if necessary and cheap!

The electric motor we use is a 55lb thrust, which is plenty unless a wind gets up. The problem is, even with solar panels and two batteries, it is a constant battle keeping the power topped up. If we have to go on a longer journey to a spot with all our gear it eats the battery life up. So in effect not having a petrol outboard is restricting our range. We would use the outboard for getting to and from farther reaches and then switch to the electric when at the fishing spots. We would also use it for exploring, but then it would just be two of us in the boat with the motor

I had looked at the silver century motors but was a little worried about the weight, they do seem to tick all the other boxes though!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Has your rubber duck have the timber transom between the two rear pontoons? I don't go much on those strapped on brackets. My inflatable is about 40 plus years old and get quite a few comments. It is nicely balance for one person with the rear pontoons and is cosy to sleep in.... :D
Heron Addict

Post by Heron Addict »

Hi hugz. Yes the main boat has a proper timber transom. I think it is rated for a maximum of 8 or 10HP, although I would imagine it is quite a white knuckle ride with 10hp strapped to the back :)

The smaller boat is a round tail and has the rather flimsy strapped on bracket you mention. I guess 2-3 HP would be the maximum for that, we have used it happily with the 55lb thrust electric trolling motor on it, which I guess weighs about 9 or 10kgs.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Knew I could find a picture.
Isle of Skye and Taliskers Distillery in the background. What more could you ask for.
I am sure "dandrews" won't mind me using it.
seagull.jpg
seagull.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
dandrews

Post by dandrews »

Picture 164.jpg
No problem skyetoyman. Here's another pic of the 1955 featherweight. It's darned expensive running it on single malt!
I've yet to try my century or curlew on the back of the seago 240 inflatable but I suspect they would make the dinghy a bit stern heavy.
The featherweight pushes along just fine in flat water (up to 4 knots) with up to 3 on board in sheltered anchorages. In rougher water the problem is the amount of water the dinghy ships, rather than speed.
Heron Addict

Post by Heron Addict »

It looks rather good on the back of your inflatable Dan, very neat. Our boat is a little larger at 2.9m. I just checked the max HP for the boats we have. The 2.9m is 10hp and the roundtail is 3hp, so if I wanted a motor to use on both I suppose the 40 plus would do the job. Am conscious of what Hugz said earlier about the Century giving more power though. I suppose I need to decide if the engine will be used at any time on both both boats or just one.

I have been looking at a late model forty plus with a clutch and factory fitted recoil starter. (I assume these are not the SIBA ones?) Does anyone have any comments good or bad on these? I will ask for a serial number.

Might struggle for a good single malt in France.... I guess it would go well on the absinthe though :shock:

Cheers
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

One seagull or do I need two ? See it has started already. I only have one boat but 5 seagulls.
I see dandrews outboard only works if it is within 500 yds of a distillery
fastjedi

Post by fastjedi »

I had exactly the same requirement as you. We have been using a 2.9m hardtail with inflatable keel from the jetty to our yacht and have a 2.4m softtail as a tender in the cockpit locker. Our everyday outboard is a Honda 2.3hp four stroke. Even though the Seagull is for entertainment, I wanted one that was practical.

I opted for a 1981 Forty+ with clutch / electronic ignition / recoil starter. I bought it on Ebay with a cracked block for £26.
Last year I aqcuired a 1977 Forty+ without recoil and starter for free which I am currently rebuilding.
Having used both I now feel there is a lot to commend the simple / lighter traditional model.
Whichever you chose, I recommend
- You buy a known excellent one or a base to rebuild. Beware of the inbetweeners on ebay!
- Parts can be expensive compared to whole motors, however they are hugely satisfying to rebuild.
- Get a height adjustment collar. It will sit too low on an inflatable dinghy without one.

I also bought an immaculate Suzuki DT2.2 last year which i love so much I may sell the Honda this year
(but don't tell anyone here incase they try to race me :-) )