seagull pull cord

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Loiner1965

seagull pull cord

Post by Loiner1965 »

nearly restored my century plus just need to do petrol tank and flywheel etc....i know its best to use the proper seagull pull cord but i have an old pull cord here so was wondering how thick is the original one please so i can compare
Taspiper

Re: seagull pull cord

Post by Taspiper »

I think around 6mm or 1/4 inch. Distance between knot and knob 600mm or 24", enough for three turns around the pulley.
If the rope is too long or too fat it can lead to trouble by catching in the pulley or not coming free in time causing you to whip you or your family. :shock:
I use that nice soft woven multi strand stuff from boat shops plus a small half round plastic knob based on the original seagull design, at least if it did stick I'm getting hit by something less sharp than just a piece of wood or such.
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
Loiner1965

Post by Loiner1965 »

cheers rolf for that.....i have an old starter handle so i will source some strong 6mm rope now
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Hi Guys, can I ask why you tie a knot on the end? I prefer to leave it without a knot to eliminate it snagging and causing a sore wrist or whatever. Maybe others will give their thoughts.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

When it comes to the last loop of cord on the flywheel it doesn't come free unexpectedly, as you are relying on friction not a knot.
Also the person sitting behind you will keep their teeth a little longer.
mrford

Post by mrford »

Hi guys I have been starting engines for 45 years and never had a rope stick . You need to follow through try to get to the left side of the engine and swing over the side of the boat never short stroke . A double half hitch or a figure eight knot works good .You learn bad habits from recoil starters . Thanks VIC
Vic

Post by Vic »

Not as thick as 6mm I dont think

The (new) one I have is closer to 5mm and
About 620mm from "handle" to knot, lightly stretched

Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Keith.P wrote:When it comes to the last loop of cord on the flywheel it doesn't come free unexpectedly, as you are relying on friction not a knot.
Also the person sitting behind you will keep their teeth a little longer.
Looks like this comment should be "Moderated" :roll:

We can not have any information within a post that suggests any injury to others may happen when using a starting device which is not given the OK yeh?

Somehow I think that knots should be banned and any initial location of a starting device on a dangerous pulley rotational device in the open should be left up to someone to log time and date on a 1900 number...................

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Maybe rather than just reading one post, you should try reading a little more, try read the previous post.
I prefer to leave it without a knot to eliminate it snagging and causing a sore wrist or whatever
When it comes to the last loop of cord on the flywheel it doesn't come free unexpectedly
What's this the new PC Police in town, so no one has ever had a problem with a pull cord, flywheel coming off, gearbox fall off, or even a red hot exhaust.

This site is getting ridiculous.
david1230

Post by david1230 »

May I humbly suggest we "pull the cord" on this post before we get hurt? :|
Maybe we could venture into the possibility of electric start for our Gulls? After all, most of us ain't gittin' any younger eh? Any venturesome mates out there? :P
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Someone's done it already
its on here somewhere
david1230

Post by david1230 »

Yes I've seen it on YouTube...very well made too.
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987
mrford

Post by mrford »

Hay guys I have a belt drive 6 to 1 attachment for a dyanastart from sullivan it uses a 22 volt lipo battery and it has a big rubber cone and it will start a seagull I am sure . But I have hand cranked my 3 different model T ees and my buddy s 1913 page detroit and rope started many a go cart and managed to NOT hurt any part of my body . These are real machines they have no safety covers the government seemed to miss them thats a good thing let that wonderful BRAIN God gave you to keep you and family safe . Well guess enough rant go put your seagull in the test bin start it and have a glass of what brings serenity and enjoy the smoke and the happy putty put lets all enjoy VIC
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Didn't seagull supply pull cords with a knot?
chris

Post by chris »

yes the seagull cord comes supplied with a knot, I have never had a problem or caused any personal injury to anyone with the pull cord, they can only cause problems if it is to long and I think if people want a "safer" alternative for starting, well don't own a seagull.