newbie here.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

metricscaler

newbie here.

Post by metricscaler »

New member here i have four seagulls a SJM 508E6 and a WSL 1506DD5 the other two are for parts. I have seen lots here on Vancouver Island for sale I love my little one. The Silver Century ran great when i last had it out now i have no spark ....at the lead lol. my son was helping me by turning over the flywheel on i was holding the motor so it wouldn't turn and Woooohaaa i got a shock lol. but nothing at the sparkplug weird hey? Anyway hopefully I can figure out whats happened buy reading some posts on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Hugz

Re: newbie here.

Post by Hugz »

First, try a new sparkplug!
metricscaler

Post by metricscaler »

hey ya i had another from the spare and no spark with that one either, i held the lead with no spark plug on it in my hand and didnt get zapped but like i said before at some point when my son and i were trying to see if we could get spark i was holding onto the head and the lead an i really got zapped!! so i know there is some volts being generated some where for sure i just have to figure out whats amis i guess. i guess it could be a bad lead i might have been holding the motor around that area when i got zapped.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Give it a spin in the dark. You might note a bit of tracking somewhere. Have your wife hold it.... they have a higher tolerance to pain.... :twisted:
metricscaler

Post by metricscaler »

hey ya that will be fun :twisted: :idea:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Great idea Hugo but bear in mind their ability to multiply discomfort,
apply a little pain to them & expect to get at least 10 times as much back!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
metricscaler

Post by metricscaler »

I finally got it running!! Just put the drill and the socket on the flywheel after I cleaned the points and got her up and running! Wooohooo only thing is no water from the tell tale! Drats :( I just came in and I am soaked like a drowned rat. Tried running water every whitch way to no avail started it on 5 different occasions let her run for about 1 minute then shut her down. I was wondering the tube in the exhaust pipe that comes from the bottom gear box, does that have to be totally sealed where it goes into the impeller housing? When I bought the motor I took it home and started it up and there was no water pumping from the tell tale , I droped the lower gear housing and saw that whoever had it apart the last time didn't line up the water hose with the hole pumped lots of water. Put it away for a couple years and ag

M
metricscaler

Post by metricscaler »

Oops with the hole in the impeller housing put it back together and it pumped water fine. Now after two years of sitting no water again the coolant pipe is still in there I checked hmmmm time for a new impeller maybe? Sorry about the long winded post.
umitsayman

Post by umitsayman »

Hi everyone...
I have a 3,2 m Zodiac-like inflated boat.
I decided to use uncle's old Seagull (EFPCL 72D7) which stayed in cellar untouched for 12 yr.
After a few vital checks, engine started with only a 2 1/2 wound rope.Wow!... Amazing..
Now my questions come.
Since it is a long shaft, I lifted the engine about 10 cm to raise the prop. What I want to learn
is:
1)What is the optimal propeller depth from sea level?
2) Is it normal to have a little fuel leakage from carburettor case when tilted?
3) Boat weighs approx 60 kg + Me (85) + Friend (90) .... What is the expected speed mph (or km/hr)?
(I know this may sound odd but I want to see if everything is going well)
Thanks in advance for all suggestions or clues...
Attachments
HERE IS THE HERO!........
HERE IS THE HERO!........
Last edited by umitsayman on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
umitsayman

Post by umitsayman »

TO ALL THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM SPARK AND TRYING/TESTING IN OPEN AIR..

Please be sure that there is no fuel leakage and / or smell.

Several years ago a friend of mine was badly wounded since the leaking fuel
cought fire. He has now a pair of burnt arms to both elbows.
Just be carefull!....
Todd

Post by Todd »

metricscaler wrote: after two years of sitting no water again
If you're running it in a bucket, remove the prop. Turbulence and aeration can inhibit water flow.
More likely than the rotor being bad is a blockage, perhaps from insects, etc. Place a nozzle in the water outlet and try flushing back through. If no joy, you'll have to disassemble and examine your water pipe and other passageways.
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

umitsayman wrote: Since it is a long shaft, I lifted the engine about 10 cm to raise the prop. What I want to learn
is:
1)What is the optimal propeller depth from sea level? Exhaust flange approx 50mm underwater
2) Is it normal to have a little fuel leakage from carburettor case when tilted? Yes, but only while tilted
3) Boat weighs approx 60 kg + Me (85) + Friend (90) .... What is the expected speed mph (or km/hr)? Probably arund 6-10km/h, more if you're very lucky
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site