Help with low revving 102

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Help with low revving 102

Post by CatiGull »

Gazza is having trouble with a 102 - someone has already suggested checking points and ignition
I have recently acquired a 102, Model ACR 3882 with AMAL carb. This I have run with a 10:1 unleaded petrol mix using normal motorbike 2 stroke oil. The little sod gets to about 1/3rd throttle then there is no increase in rpm as throttle is opened just an increase in induction noise. It will rev higher with out the prop engaged, just briefly reved as no load.
It starts first or second pull, there is water passing through and it runs fairly warm, u can still touch the head casing.
Any ideas as to why it wont rev?
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Starts easily - that's good.

Is this under load or in the tank without load?

Has he tried reducing the points gap? Sometimes the 102 ignitions respond well to that.

Increase in induction noise indicates that this isn't simply a throttle adjustment problem.

What sort of spark has he got? Big fat blue one?

And it's worth looking at the plug gap.

Let us know what he finds
StephenRT

Post by StephenRT »

This sounds rather like a fuel starvation problem.I suggest that the fuel filters in the fuel tap and carburretor are checked.Also check the main jet for blockage.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Until we find out more syptoms, it just sounds like the main jet is blocked. The motor will start and run after a fashion on the idle jet, but not get the extra juice it needs to rev. Opening the throttle is increasing the air depression through the carb, hence the increased 'roar', but it can't get enough petrol to drink. Rick