Found a seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

flyingskipper

Found a seagull

Post by flyingskipper »

I have just found a little seagull in a boat I have purchased :D . The engine number is F1131J1 could someone please help identify it? I also have tried to turn the fly wheel but no go. I asume the rings are stuck to the bore or could it be a little button under the flywheel stuck in, not sure what it is or does :? , its chrome with a slot on the end. Hope someone can shed some light on it please. I am going to spruce it up alot as it is a lovely bit of kit, even better if i could get it going.
Thanks alot,
Andrew.
John@sos

Seized Seagull

Post by John@sos »

It is a 1971 Featherweight, it might not be the motor that is seized, it could be the gearbox at the top bearing!

Remove motor unit from leg by undoing two 1/4 nuts beneath crankcase, lift off motor and exhaust. Then try turning motor again!

If it is the motor you will now have access to the square drive shaft under the motor, you can try turning this with a spanner. Better that over tightening the top nut on the crank!

If it is the gearbox you will now not dange the motor unit!

lots of WD 40 and a large 3/8th drive socket spanner in the top of the drive shaft and work it to and fro. it will move, eventually!
hope this helps,

lots of WD 40 will!,

John
SOS
flyingskipper

Post by flyingskipper »

Hi John,
Thanks for your advise. I removed the spark plug sprayed loads of wd40 down the hole and in the inlet tube, started rocking the flywheel back and forward, the prop was trying to turn but only an inch either way. Left it for a couple of hours tried again and then yes! :lol: she came unstuck. I poured a little oil down the plug hole, wizzed her over a few times, cleaned the ponts & plug, set gap, flushed the fuel tank out and carb. Filled with fresh fuel and tried to see what her compression was like, guess what she fired up first time. It must of been well over 20years since she saw light of day never mind been turned over. Now im going to get some autosol to get her back to how she should and deserves to look.
Any advise as to how to keep these little outboards in tip top condition would be great.
One happy seagull owner,
Andrew. :P