102 still not running

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Lyndasbottom
102 still not running

Post by Lyndasbottom »

I mistakenly started this topic in the general discussion section. I have a 1955/56 102 s/n AC46369 fitted with an Amal 416 carb. I bought it from a guy who said he hadn't used it over the winter and didn't need it any more. Following advice from John, I put in a new plug and HT lead, reset points to 20 thou and some fresh 10:1 fuel. This got me to where it would start, albeit unreliably, but wouldn't run without the choke closed. After some more advice via the forum and John I have thoroughly cleaned out the fuel tank, fuel pipe and carb and changed the mix to 16:1. I can now start it on second or third pull without the choke but it will only run if I hold down the carb float tickler. If I don't do this it backfires through the carb. I've done a compression check and get 50+ PSI. I'm starting to think that the age/wear of the engine is such that it can't provide enough "suck" to draw the heavier fuel mix through the 416 which was designed for 25:1. I'm thinking along these lines because I put about half a litre of fresh petrol in the tank to flush out the 10:1 mix and tried to start it just to see what would happen and it ran pretty well. The 10:1 mix is very heavy which would explain why it wouldn't run without the choke and it is a lot easier to start with the 16:1 mix. I'm tempted to try a 25:1 to test my theory but aware that this may not be good for the engine. I've cleaned the carb to the point that you could eat your dinner on it. Have to say I'm getting to the point of tossing the thing in a skip :evil: . Appreciate any views before I consider more investment in the shape of the correct carb for the engine.