Ignition problem

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

enrico

Ignition problem

Post by enrico »

I have about the "poor spark problem".

When I push down the anchorplate (I am not sure of the English word), my ignition gets much better. I have slope if I lift up the Swingwheel.

Does this slope make my ignition worse? Is the engine worn?

Also I have problems adjusting my ignition. This plate always goes back in the same position when I tighten the screw.

Hope, you understand. My technical English could be better :roll:

Regards Lars.
erik0905

Re: Ignition problem

Post by erik0905 »

enrico wrote:I have about the "poor spark problem".

When I push down the anchorplate (I am not sure of the English word), my ignition gets much better. I have slope if I lift up the Swingwheel.

Does this slope make my ignition worse? Is the engine worn?

Also I have problems adjusting my ignition. This plate always goes back in the same position when I tighten the screw.

Hope, you understand. My technical English could be better :roll:

Regards Lars.
Hej Lars
Pladen skal sidde hvor den sidder, når du strammer skruen, det er ikke muligt, at justere tænding. Det slør du nævner, er normalt for en ældre motor, og skulle ikke ha' betydning for tænding. Jeg kan ikke umiddelbart greje den med at du trykker på pladen, og gnisten bliver bedre.
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
enrico

Tændingsproblem

Post by enrico »

Im writing directly to you Erik.

I don´t think, the read Danish in this group :lol:
Dr.Lighthouse

Post by Dr.Lighthouse »

jeres seagull er en ulykkesfugl :wink:
Swami

Post by Swami »

For all those curious to know the Danish instructions Erik left Enriko, here is a freebie web translation for you to all follow in similar situations.

"The diskette shall sit where the sits , catching you tighter the screw , it is no possible , that justify ignition. That dim you denominator , is normally by a prior engine , and shouldn't ha' importance by ignition. I cant immediate greje the by that you pressing at the diskette , and the spark proves worse luck."

Ah, yes perfectly clear now! Aren't computers clever!

And Dr Lighthouse's reply ........ "Your seagull is a ulykkesfugl" ......

Now we would all like to know WHAT IS A ULYKKESFUGL Dr Lighthouse????? :? which was untranslatable by the machine I asked. Are you being uncomplimentary about British Seagulls? I hope not.

(Hmmmm.... some say I have too much time on my hands to play on the web, but never too little time for a joke with the Danes- eh! After all, they now have an Aussie Queen :shock: :lol: )

LATER EDIT: An ulykkesfugl is a bird of ill omen. So next time my Seagull plays up I shall curse it as an "ulykkesfugl" and hope it then behaves.
Dr.Lighthouse

Post by Dr.Lighthouse »

Danish in 9 easy lessons:

'Bird Song' beer . . . no wonder their language sounds so funny
enrico

Ignition problem

Post by enrico »

This post seems to have accelerated in different directions. To keep it on track, I will sum up, what I found out :)

There is no way to adjust the ignition on a Fourty Plus. Is that rightly understood?

I have heard, starting problems could occur because of poor compression. I dont think my comression is that low. If this on the other hand in fact is the problem, I should have the engine repacked (is it called a gasket?) - but then the cylinder would "sweat" - wouldn´t it?

The petrol is new. The plug gets wet with petrol. If I use full choke it drowns.

Which is the right gap for the sparkplug (milimeters please).

When I manage to get the engine started and I then stop it for a minute, it is impossible to start again although it is hot.

Of course it is easyer started in air than in water.

I am quite lost and rather fed up with the motor.
erik0905

Post by erik0905 »

For all those curious to know the Danish instructions Erik left Enriko, here is a freebie web translation for you to all follow in similar situations.

"The diskette shall sit where the sits , catching you tighter the screw , it is no possible , that justify ignition. That dim you denominator , is normally by a prior engine , and shouldn't ha' importance by ignition. I cant immediate greje the by that you pressing at the diskette , and the spark proves worse luck."

Now we would all like to know WHAT IS A ULYKKESFUGL Dr Lighthouse????? :? which was untranslatable by the machine I asked. Are you being uncomplimentary about British Seagulls? I hope not.

(Hmmmm.... some say I have too much time on my hands to play on the web, but never too little time for a joke with the Danes- eh! After all, they now have an Aussie Queen :shock: :lol: )

LATER EDIT: An ulykkesfugl is a bird of ill omen. So next time my Seagull plays up I shall curse it as an "ulykkesfugl" and hope it then behaves.
Hi Swami. You didn't make a correct translation, but you are on your way, and you now know how I feel, when people uses funny word, slang, etc. En ulykkesfugl, is normally a person who always brings bad luck and accidents.
Dr.Lighthouse must have some connection to Denmark.
think ahead of doing
Erik
Swami

Post by Swami »

Yes Enrico. We got lost in fun and games. Your problem is serious. Let us try to help with suggestions for your problems.

The ignition timing is fixed, factory set on Seagulls. The small screw under the ignition back plate locates in a dimple in the upper crankcase, that’s it. If this screw is in tight and in the dimple, the timing must be set right.

The points gap is adjustable with the small screw at the points. This is best set to 20 thousands of an inch (=0.5mm) Set the spark plug gap to the same, but make sure you have a good spark plug. Buy a new one to be sure.

Poor compression could be a problem, especially if it is hard to start when hot. Sure, there may be cracks in the cylinder or the head. Does it leak compression gasses that you can see? Does it over heat from water in the cylinder? Does it have water flow out the tell tale hole when running?
but let's investigate simpler things first.

Perhaps the hard starting is because you flood it with too much petrol. NO CHOKE when hot. Not even the carbie dripping. Just half throttle and pull.

If the spark is not strong at any time, as you said in your first post, then you may have a bad spark plug, and/or a bad spark lead. Check them both and or replace them and try again. Or else you may have a weak coil which needs a "spin" (see this page http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq.htm ) for lots of help on weak spark.

Also, see this thread for a similar problem to yours on the same engine http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... .php?t=118

Sometimes new owners (like me) get frustrated with motors we don't understand yet, but persevere and you will get to love your Seagull. Teething problems can just be problems that the old owner did not address with good maintenance (like my motor when I first got it).

Good luck - and tell us some more about what you find with it and ask some more questions for help from better experienced people than me with the Forty Plus. You'll get there!
erik0905

Post by erik0905 »

what I wrote was.
The plate is in position when the Screw is tightened, it is not possible to adjust the ignition . The slope is nomally for an older BS, and should not have any influence on the ignition. I can't "greje" understand why your ignition improves, when you press down the plate.
think ahead of doing
Erik
enrico

Starting problem

Post by enrico »

Set the spark plug gap to the same, but make sure you have a good spark plug. Buy a new one to be sure.

cut
Or else you may have a weak coil which needs a "spin" (see this page http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq.htm ) for lots of help on weak spark.

cut
Teething problems can just be problems that the old owner did not address with good maintenance (like my motor when I first got it).
I have a completely new plug - in fact I tested two new ones.

I dont know what a weak coil means. Must look that up. Did not find help in FAQ Where excactly should I look?

The old owner was my grandfather who was a prof motorman - so I know he treated it well.

I will do some testing and return.

Thanks for your help so far - everyone :)

-enrico
enrico

I´m happy again :)

Post by enrico »

I did as I was taught:

Fixed the plate in its only position (It is tight here - cant be moved)
Checked the platinas which did not open :) Adjusted to 0.5 mm gap.

Started first time.

Thanks for your help - no I will go fishing.
erik0905

ignition

Post by erik0905 »

Hej Lars.
Good to know that adwices helps. Pressing the plate down, has off course
chanced the platina gap, to a better distance.
and for Swami
godt at vide, at råd hjælper. At trykke ned på pladen, har selvfølgelig ændret platinernes åbning, til en bedre afstand.
think ahead of doing
Erik