Roys second 102 series build

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fleetingcontact
Re: Roys second 102 series build

Post by fleetingcontact »

Roy,

I am very pleased you received it in the end. It is an added bonus that the interesting postal system in SA didn't in the end gouge you for more cash. You would never have known where it was at all if it was not a tracked parcel, and doubtless never received it.

All the best

Martin
african imp

Post by african imp »

fleetingcontact wrote:Roy,

I am very pleased you received it in the end. It is an added bonus that the interesting postal system in SA didn't in the end gouge you for more cash. You would never have known where it was at all if it was not a tracked parcel, and doubtless never received it.

All the best

Martin
Opened, X rayed I suppose I can at least be certain the parcel you sent was safe !
Attachments
IMG_2916.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

This will clean up well in my beed blasting cabinet.
Attachments
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

Stripped and cleaned and reassembled, I will strip it again and flush it out with clean petrol, then do a test run of this rebuilt 102 series bitsa engiine.
Attachments
IMG_2926.JPG
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That's a sought after early Amal used on the World War 2 motors. Note the Amal script high on the float bowl. Highly desirable. Good find.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Those wartime carbs seem to have some sort of maybe zinc coating, rather than the later painted ones. I'm looking for one for my HSD project if anybody has a spare :P
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I have one, would like to keep the shroud, but carb is available, if I can find it.

Sorry pictures are not the best.
2014-07-14 18.59.53.jpg
2014-07-14 18.59.49.jpg
african imp

Post by african imp »

Hugz wrote:That's a sought after early Amal used on the World War 2 motors. Note the Amal script high on the float bowl. Highly desirable. Good find.

Thanks for telling me, I will be keeping this Amal 2 jet I think?

I was very complete, seized solid but as my picture shows was all there.

Would painting it be acceptable, then again will the paint accept our modern petrol?
Attachments
IMG_2930.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

The first attempts to start the 102 series motor saw a petrol leak at the joint where the two flat washers and banjo bolt meet.

I did file the flat metal surfaces, also tried other washers, the leak continued so for today I used some black O rings, they are not made from Viton so I can expect them to fail.

Some twenty four hours later and still no leaks from the black O rings, I think if I replace them with Viton O rings or even Viton washers I will sort out the issue with the flat faces that the banjo bolt has to clamp to.
Attachments
IMG_2933.JPG
Last edited by african imp on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
african imp

Post by african imp »

I needed some more 10:1 two stroke mix to lift the fuel up in the carburetor bowl, once that was done I had a runner.

Note the hand throttle for now.

The exhaust burns clean enough, the motor sounds really good and I have a runner.

I now need the parts which are in the post, which includes a water pump housing.

I also need a water pump impellor, does any one have the dimensions and I can make one myself.

My thanks to Fleeting contact for supplying the Amal 2 jet carburetor.
Attachments
IMG_2940.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

Hugz wrote:That's a sought after early Amal used on the World War 2 motors. Note the Amal script high on the float bowl. Highly desirable. Good find.
Now it has had a good clean I have found that it works really well.
african imp

Post by african imp »

I have read that two sizes of water pump impellor exist, am I correct in thinking that one suits motors such as the 102 series (others also) and the smaller impellor the Forty series?

If so why do I have two water pump houses with different diameters, both are suitable for the larger gear boxes?

One is 2" and the other 2 / 1/8" inch.

Am I missing something here please?
Attachments
IMG_2943.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

It could be this thread ends here, as I have restored the seized powerhead to a working condition.

Engine number being WHCH 144R8

As I am still missing a suitable gear box and water pump assembly, I will have to wait for one to find its way here someday?
african imp

Post by african imp »

I am told that the lower fitting that I have (damged) to fit to the power and exhaust tubes is correct for the 102 series motor.

Working on that information I now have what I have, damaged or not, it can be alloy welded and I can file and grind the shapes required , the thread in the good tang is good.
Attachments
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2988.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

The waterpump diameter is 2 - 1/8" in diameter.
Attachments
IMG_2989.JPG