Forty series is this a Wipac 2 fault?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Re: Forty series is this a Wipac 2 fault?

Post by african imp »

tambikeboy wrote:
african imp wrote:Ready to run, if only it would.

So you now have

Spark
Compression
Fuel
I'm guessing. :cry:
Yes but possibly not the fuel, John at SOS has suggested that fuel may be the problem?

This motor has EXCESIVE compression, could the crank area have a blockage that stops the fuel reaching the top of the piston and stops ignition?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Have you measured the compression & how much do you have?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:Have you measured the compression & how much do you have?

How would I do that given that I do not have a compression tester.

Put it this wasy, if I do not hold on to the tank with one hand I cannot pull the rope with the other hand as the compression is too high.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Is the compression to high or is there something restricting it if its that hard to pull use a Cork from a wine bottle shapped to suit spark plug hole remove said plug place Cork in spark plug hole give it a pull if it pops out all is good .
Is your plug wet
.is it sparking
I've been known to put some raw petrol in the bore ( I'm not suggesting you do that each to there own)
You must have the patience of a saint I'd have spun it around my head 3 times and let it go by now..
Good luck. :evil:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Something major is wrong take the power head to bits, they are very simple.

Will it turn over with the spark plug removed?
african imp

Post by african imp »

tambikeboy wrote:Is the compression to high or is there something restricting it if its that hard to pull use a Cork from a wine bottle shapped to suit spark plug hole remove said plug place Cork in spark plug hole give it a pull if it pops out all is good .
Is your plug wet
.is it sparking
I've been known to put some raw petrol in the bore ( I'm not suggesting you do that each to there own)
You must have the patience of a saint I'd have spun it around my head 3 times and let it go by now..
Good luck. :evil:
With the spark plug removed the motor turns over as you would expect, with the plug back in up goes the compression (as you would expect) but not as high as this motor is.

I have a spark and the ignition was stripped down to the base plate, Wipac was removed, cleaned, etc, the multi meter reads 5.00 oms on the HT terminal to earth.

Testing with various HT leads, one is near new, three spark plugs, one of which is new.
Last edited by african imp on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:Something major is wrong take the power head to bits, they are very simple.

Will it turn over with the spark plug removed?

The engine turns over fine, its just that there is say twice the compression I would expect and from what I am seeing there is no fuel mix sucking into the compresion chamber, the plug stays dry.

I would prefer not to remove the assembly by stripping it down as there are no spares like head gaskets over here etc.
african imp

Post by african imp »

I ask myself what could stop fuel reaching the compression chamaber?

This is a spare crank case and piston, there is nothing in the crankcase that can block anything?

I think I am about done with the Forty series engine and it can become a display unit again?
Attachments
IMG_1879.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

I am in a sea of despair and now clutching at straws to save myself?

Should the drive shaft tube to the crank case be fitted with a sealing gasket and paste? I would assume if a leak was happening I would be seeing a fuel mix exiting the same joint?

I have not removed the two studs, assuming they were sealed on assembly by whoever did that job?

I ask as I have not done this and if the two threaded holes in the crank case leak, the suction of fuel from the craburetor will be affected?

The two halves of a crankcase are spares marked WSCL 1451CC8 I did not get the block or crank with them.

Dated July 1976 Silver Century 4.5hp, long shaft, clutch drive and Wipac ignition ( info taken from Johns SOS web pages )
Attachments
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

the plug stays dry.

So we are not getting fuel .......if the plug stays dry where is all the fuel going every time you pull the rope if it's not going to the plug.

Have to tried putting some directly down the bore it should at least try starting
african imp

Post by african imp »

This has now drifted of the topic of Wipac 2 fault?

I will leave things here for now,

I have just removed the carburetor, laid the engine on the bench with the fuel intake facing up, then force fed the crank case and the piston with a fuel mix.

I then set everything back up, carb on fuel pipe connected and filled the carb fuel bowl, I then tried to start the engine and got nothing again.

Note, the spark plug remains dry, why would this be?
Attachments
IMG_1877.JPG
Last edited by african imp on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
african imp

Post by african imp »

tambikeboy wrote:the plug stays dry.

So we are not getting fuel .......if the plug stays dry where is all the fuel going every time you pull the rope if it's not going to the plug.

Have to tried putting some directly down the bore it should at least try starting

Please read my last entry, fuel into the crankcase and also into the combustion chamber, still nothing happens.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Have you checked the piston orientation?

Is there any likelihood that the wrong crankshaft has been put in this engine?

Your gasket problem might be answered if you read other earlier threads on the same subject.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:Have you checked the piston orientation?

Your gasket problem might be answered if you read other earlier threads on the same subject.
I have just been reading the SOS manual Service Sheet # 3 , re the orientation of the piston, will it be possible to view the crown and the Inlet Deflector via the spark plug hole?

Yes, it is.

I have just checked and also on another (working) forty, both are the same , piston is the correct way around.

Stamped on the front of the piston in my motor ate the letters STD-R I assume that means a standard piston?

Re the wrong crankshaft?

I have no idea of my engines past but by turning over the spare (working) motor I can see that the piston skirt opens the port and that the rings appear and stop in eactly the same position, the join in the top rings are clearly visible.

So the cranks are the same?
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Ok your getting spark but no notice of fuel on the plug now about trying the carb from your working motor change parts between the 2 of them untill problem is solved..china