Seagull 6 model year and attributes

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rikanaka

Seagull 6 model year and attributes

Post by rikanaka »

Recently purchased a Seagull 6, ID # per seller, KLR 22G4. It is currently in transit, so I can't confirm the number. When did British Seagull start calling the Kingfisher "Seagull 6"? The G4 would indicate to me that it is of 1984 vintage. I have an AFPCL 55H4 that is definitely an '84, but there are clearly refinements on the Seagull 6 that were not implemented until later in that decade. Also does the "R" stand for "reverse" or "reconditioned" or (gasp) "roller bearings"?

Last edited by rikanaka on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swami

Post by Swami »

ROTFLMAO - (Rollng on the floor laughing my arse off) at that brilliant converted golf buggy. :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you take your motor for "walkies" around the suburbs (or the golf course) when it needs the exercise!!! Classic. I WANT ONE!
rikanaka

Post by rikanaka »

Do you take your motor for "walkies" around the suburbs (or the golf course) when it needs the exercise!!!
No, but it does make one hell of a driver, the Forty Plus is best for approaches, and the Featherweight, of course, for putting.

The cart came with (or I should say, is coming with) the outboard, both in transit; the previous owner threw it in as part of the deal.
Last edited by rikanaka on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John@sos

Seagull 6

Post by John@sos »

Golf Trolley is great, I want one too! that will save my poor old back! will have to speak to golfing son in law!!

The Kingfisher you have is a 1994 model, one of the very last. they were only made to order at that stage and made by the girls in the office perhaps. What symbol have you got stampt into the tiller support on the crankcase?

The QB's only ran fron 1987 to 1993, with a few hand built ones later, (they were all hand built!, but later ones were special orders..) Producion had stopped by spring 96.

The 'R' in the number means it has roller bearings in the crank. They are OK only if you stick to 25:1 mix not the 50:1 they origionally reccomended. they had loads of failures.... The crank can be simply changed to the plain one if you have a problem!

Happy Seagulling, or is it golfing?

John
SOS
rikanaka

seagull 6

Post by rikanaka »

John,

Thanks for the information. I'll look at the tiller support when it arrives on Wednesday.

If not a QB in name, should it not still be a QB in design? If not, then what changes were made in '94 to differentiate from the QBs, other than the color and the roller bearings?

Bob Chinn
RI, USA
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hi Bob,

The Seagull 6 is the Kingfisher by another name. For some reason, just before the end of Seagull, they changed the logo from Kingfisher to Seagull 6. There were no changes. The Roller bearing was just the ongoing development of the design, an attempt to reduce the oil ratio to 50:1, it failed!

You will find some non roller ones badged as '6's' and silver as well!

Regards,
John
SOS
Dr.Lighthouse

Post by Dr.Lighthouse »

Do US Customs always put Seagulls in quarantine?

Nice motor, Rikanaka!
And thanks John for the update.

In Holland someone is offering a 'brand new - zero hours' Seagull 4 for sale. Highest bid so far is € 200.00

try this LINK

if the link doesn't work use http://www.marktplaats.nl and search for Seagull in the watersport section
Sorry, folks, the site is in Dutch only . . .
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Wonder how many birdies you shot with a Seagull??

:D :D :D
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
rikanaka

Seagull 6, what is this part?

Post by rikanaka »

Alas, UPS mishandled the Seagull 6 during its 2500 mile journey across the country, breaking off this part (W3140 ?) mounted to the recoil starter cap. Seemed like a pretty flimsy attachment as it was.

I really don't know what it does. It's a housing that has a spring loaded bolt that seems to provide some index stopping point to the gear lever. It is attached by a rod and adjusting nut to the gear rod. This housing and rod are absent in pictures of earlier Kingfishers.

Anyone know what it does? And do I really need it? Anyone have a spare one of these lying around I could buy if it really is needed? Can it be welded?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Bob Chinn
rikanaka

Received a reply from Sheridan Marine

Post by rikanaka »

I heard from Sheridan Marine after asking them about the broken housing, which according to them encloses a "mechanism attached to the recoil starter to prevent operation of the recoil starter when the machine is in either forward or reverse gear". It's available for 7.61 GBP, so I'll file a claim with UPS for the damage, unless UPS insists on shipping back to one of their "Damage Claim Inspection Facilities", in which case, I'll bite the bullet and forego filing a claim. I've been down that route before with FedEx with another motor that ending ping-ponging up and down the Eastern Seaboard between Rhode Island and Florida after the damage inspection (they couldn't decide whether to return the motor to me or the original shipper), until what hadn't been damaged during the first trip was surely damaged by the 5th!

By the way, I was surprised and impressed that someone at Sheridan answered my email on a Sunday. Don't you blokes over there ever take a day off?
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Just seen your pic, could tell you what it was but had never seen one. sold for american market mainly to comply with safety rules!

Sadly this sort of damage is the reason I do not recommend shipping motors, unless they are (expensivley crated and foam packed!

Regards,
John
SOS