Brass Fuel Tank Dent Removal

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

priorshane

Brass Fuel Tank Dent Removal

Post by priorshane »

Hello All,
I have a Little Forty seagull LS15869L and there is a huge dent in the top of the brass tank. And I read somewhere that if I fill it with water and freeze it, the dent should pop. I thought about this for a while but I thought someone might know of a better way. What I'm afraid of is the seams at the end of the tank buckling. If anyone has any past experiences or better ways to do this that would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Nudge

Re: Brass Fuel Tank Dent Removal

Post by Nudge »

Hi
A lot will depend on the dent... Is it a "soft" demt or has it got hrad bends in it?
Can you post a pic of it that way we can give you the best answer.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Freezing the tank can help, but there is a risk the tank will end up becoming bowed in areas you did not want it to be.. The best way is to remove and end cap and repair the tank correctly. A couple of forum members have created some videos which might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmyQMwxeXK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGVQYL9ISs

To get a LS tank end off you will need a big propane torch as used in the first video, this will generate enough heat to spread across the whole end cap. Brass is very soft, particularly when red hot, so do not try and prise the end off, let the heat do the work, and it will hopefully drop off :P

Once an end is off then gentle tin bashing should get it back to shape. Brass will work and age harden, so annealing the area you are working will make it softer and less chance of cracking. To Anneal het to cherry red and quench in cold water.

Before you apply any heat to the tank you must ensure all petrol is removed and the tank is cleaned out. Start with parafin soak, and then put a caustic solution in for 24 hours. Keep repeating until the tank is spotless internally!

Enjoy! :P
priorshane

Post by priorshane »

Thanks for the reply, I feel that I'll probably make bits of it so I'm not going to get it done at the crash repair place instead. They're going to spray it as well. Thanks anyway.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Glad to know that you have an LS.
I keep a list of all Early Series Forty Models ie F, FV, FVP, LM and LS and their exact specification.
I would be interested in knowing details of your LS15869L. I will send you a pm with my e mail details.
Cheers,
Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Sounds like it's quite an early LS at that Jeremy.

Yes you can use the water and freeze method. BUT i will issue you SEVERAL words of caution with this. (i've done it in the past with varying results) BUT above all else you MUST MUST MUST keep a very close eye on it once the water has frozen.
Once you can see the dent has been more or less pushed out (pop back to the freezer every 30 mins, pain in the arse i know but you gotta do what you gotta do) take it out of the freezer to thaw out (usually about 24 hours) drain the water out and inspect closely. Any smaller dents will cover well with some car body filler. (one of my tried and tested methods)

OR, the more involved and trickier method is to remove an end. Once inside you can reach the parts others cannot reach.
How's your plumbing skills?

Either way is time consuming, but well worth the extra effort for a dent free fuel tank.

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I would be interested in knowing details of your LS15869L. I will send you a pm with my e mail details.
Cheers,
Jeremy
Do you want to flick me a pm as well, I have LS 33524
Are you interisted in GFP716cc7
My tank has a few dings in it too :roll:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?