Help - way off topic

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Help - way off topic

Post by charlesp »

A few weeks ago some female rammed my vehicle up the backside, and I'm currently going through the painful process of getting it repaired. Naturally enough I get one shot at this, so it's important everything gets sorted this time.

My wife is convinced the heated rear screen isn't working, based on the evidence of one early morning trip a couple of weeks ago. I can't verify this at all, we're in a heat wave here, no way can I fo it up to check it out.

My question is - how can I get mist on my rear screen in this weather? I''ve tried a kettle, tried breathing on it (neighbours think I'm bonkers) can anyone suggest anything?
Collector Inspector

Re: Help - way off topic

Post by Collector Inspector »

Only the Bonkers observation from here.

Nice to have confirmation Aye.

Yes, I get that all the time from number one Daughter.............................

Sigh

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Charles,

First measure the voltage on the wiring, if 12V is present measure the current flowing to the heated rear window.
I think (I'm not a car mechanic) there must be flowing 50 Amps or more to the heating wires on the window.
If there is a high current flowing there is heat dissipating.

Jan
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Disconnect and reconnect and see if you get a spark indicating a load. Better at night.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Hi Charles. Been off the web for a while to get on here and read your post. Just try using the garden hose and wet the whole car down and see how that goes. Judging by how cold it gets up your way mate it should do the trick. Normally a good shunt can break the wire in the rear windscreen to stop it from working! There only as thin as a human hair the wires.
1charan

Post by 1charan »

The easiest way is probably using a volt/ampere meter, or maybe simply a 12 light bulb.

Find the fuse that protects the rear heater. My guess is that it is 20 Amps, at most 30 Amps. Take the fuse out, connect your light bulb to the two connectors showing there (you might need a little help there), and turn on the engine with the rear window heater off. Observe how the light bulb glows. Then turn on the heater. If the heater works, and the light bulb is small enough (like a blinker light bulb, at most 25 watts), then the light bulb should go from nothing to full glowing. Of course this can be made more difficult because other power users use the same fuse.

You could go scientific and connect the volt meter parallel to the light bulb. The voltage goes UP when the heater is working.

Or you could go all the way and use the ampere meter instead of the light bulb. I did not mention this as the first choice, because most ampere meters can not handle the high current that you want to measure, so could blow up the meter.

Should your helping hand make contact between the two fuse connectors, then this is not a problem. The fuse that you just took out is short circuiting the connectors too.

Charan
SJP11446LL parts only, TC52234L unrestored, THC67581L unrestored, FP1986JJ4 running, GF2355EE7 running,TC63272 work in progress, AD52014 unrestored, sEEgull work in progress.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Just got back in from playing, so thanks guys for your helpful comments. I should have realised that the Seagull world would respond quickly!

In fact I borrowed next door's plant mister to spray a fine fog onto the glass, and the screen is working fine.

Thanks again.