Flywheel cover with text in black

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Re: Flywheel cover with text in black

Post by THCL500J8 »

Something like that would look a lot nicer than my scratched black plastic cover.
Last edited by THCL500J8 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

This is the one that should be reproduced
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

At the risk of moving this post away from its original question concerning the black wording on the flywheel cover, could I ask a question concerning the wording on the 4" aluminium starter rope pulley used on the series 40

The words BRITISH and SEAGULL which are cast into this item seem to come in two different sizes.
The small size, in which both BRITISH and SEAGULL impressions covers approx 90 degrees; and the bigger version in which the impressions covers approx 120 degrees.
I believe that the smaller version was the earlier. If this is so, when was the change made to the larger one? Was it during the SJM and SJP production?

The slightly curious thing is that the smaller (and earlier one?) has a cast number of 1660/2. Whereas the bigger (and later?) one has the number 1650 - which one would have thought was a number which had been allocated earlier. (I appreciate that BS were not always fully systematic).
(Some of the smaller ones don't have any cast numbers.)
Some of both versions also have cast in 1093 x 16E. Is this a part number?

Jeremy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

All the flywheel covers with text on that I've seen, appeared to have had earlier in their life, the black paint treatment.

As they all seem to have traces of engraving cutters, we assume that they were made using a pantograph engraving machine, it's unlikley they were CNC'd 20 years before CNC's were invented, laser etched for the same reason.
Acid etching is out, as aluminium isn't solubile in acids only alkali's & I don't know if photographic masking was around in the 50's, though I have seen brass chassis plates that seem to have been acid etched from the early 60's.

British Seagull (Sheridan Marine) are still manufacturing & stocking spares as they have in this guise since the late 1990's, enabling John (Saving-old-Seagulls) to be one of their largest distributors.

Selva never owned any part of British Seagull, though British Seagull did badge engineer a range of their 2-stroke product from 2 to 40 hp, sometime between 94 & 96 after they had closed their assembly facilities, giving Sheridan Marine the opportunity to purchase the interlectual rights, names, title, drawings & remaining unassembled components, a few years later, fortunatly for us as without them it would have been impossible to buy the thrust block assembly for a silver century or other similar Seagull specific items, after the scrapman had melted them all down.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
bercan

Post by bercan »

If Selva has never owned Seagull,then why are they allowed in the races we all have??Why do people consider them a Gull?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Bercan,
Seagull Sports are not Seagulls in my book. I agree they should not be allowed to race on that basis. However, they do have their own class and do not qualify for line honours and I few of the other prizes.
Think they were allowed to keep the numbers up, as the pool of "real" Seagulls continues to decline every year with no new ones being made. Also not everyone has the time or ability to tinker with an old Gull.
I still don't agree with it and will never race in a Seagull race with one.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Seagull sold Selva's with a Seagull sticker on them, therefore it must be a Seagull.

You'll have to ask yourself a question "would the RISR be better with 30 or 50 boats?"

Should the 5R be banned as it 1/2 Yamaha?

Michael is right in my view, the more the better.

My whole purpose in life is to build a real British Seagull that has a faster time round the island than a sport, mind you JJ's piped spagetti, carbon toothpick has raised the bar to a level of 2 hours 7 minutes, which means I've got to go almost 20 minutes faster without a pipe, wonder if I'll live long enough?

In 2011 if I'd matched my best time I would have beaten every sport except JJ, must try harder!
Michael

Post by Michael »

JJ's time is now 1hr 50min, although that is with a pipe
Michael

Post by Michael »

To me a 5R is a Seagull as at least it was assembled by them and does carry a Seagull built powerhead. The Sport - all they do is slap a sticker on itand call it a Seagull. Nothing remotely Seagull about a Sport. Plus it has more displacement than any real Seagull
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

OOps your right Michael sorry, finding 36 minutes might be too big of an ask!

That would put me over 13 miles behind him when he crossed the line!
geofflena

Post by geofflena »

Like this ?
Attachments
fly-logo.jpg
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

that looks interesting!
where are you in bristol?

pm me