Spark plug Cap in OZ Or a sutable waterproof one.

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Spark plug Cap in OZ Or a sutable waterproof one.

Post by THCL500J8 »

Hi Anyone in Australia Have a proper spark plug cap looking for a new home.

Please.Will be well cared for.
Last edited by THCL500J8 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
bercan

Re: Spark plug Cap in OZ

Post by bercan »

Are you looking for a seagull cap???? I hate those things but have one...if I find one I will send it to you...oh I do have one.
but you may need the whole lead and cap.
THCL500J8

Re: Spark plug Cap in OZ Or a sutable waterproof one.

Post by THCL500J8 »

Would like a seagull cap. But any waterproof should work i guess, so if you have had success with something let me know were you got it.

Thanks
THCL500J8

Re: Spark plug Cap in OZ

Post by THCL500J8 »

bercan wrote:Are you looking for a seagull cap???? I hate those things but have one...if I find one I will send it to you...oh I do have one.
but you may need the whole lead and cap.

Thanks for the offer, i just need the plastic cap and the black knurled screw that's with it.
The original cap was smashed in storage in the 90's and i don't know if the cap can be separated from the lead.
But I'm shore someone here will know.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The cap is easily separated from the lead. The lead has a holed crimp lug on the end.
Spark lead.JPG
The lead pushes into the cap and knob screws onto the thread of the plug (discard the nipple). The lug is clamped between the two. It is a bit of a fiddle.
Spark cap..JPG
I believe there are a few different designs/sizes but others can advise better on that.
Plug caps.JPG
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Thanks Hugz, and Others.

Mine was the one in the top picture, Still got the long rubber tail on the ignition lead.
The engine came out of storage with a smashed com8 with offset earth, and no plug cap.
So thank you all, looks like that's what im after.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Apart from the original there is also this type made of rubber. It screws on the wire. And I would suggest that you also change the wire since it's the original (too old). I had an incident where an engine didn't start unless I was placing a piece of wood to hold the wire away from the block. It should be shortcircuiting at some point. As per picture I have on or two spare caps that I can part with :)

I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

If you go down to your local mower shop, they have the universal type plug caps that has a self tapper like thread inside to screw on the end of your plug lead. About $9
chris

Post by chris »

yes I agree with 1650 bullett, I actually don't use a plug cap, I find the original seagull one very awkward to us when doing a plug change quickly as it can be tricky screwing the top back on quickly, I just use the screw that comes with the plug and a washer and never had any problems
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Thanks every body for ideas comments and most helpful suggestions.

The reason i was wanting to replace the missing cap was. on two occasions when the motor was running in the tank (read wheelie bin) water had splashed up on the plug and stopped the engine. Maybe this is a tank only problem, and I'm worrying about nothing. But the big 13 inch prop moves a lot of water. And it will be run in a well next time its in real water.
chris

Post by chris »

check the well has a good airflow around it as seagulls don't do well in outboard wells as they tend to aphyxiate themselves from the fumes as the carb can't breathe
croweater

Post by croweater »

Just a warning about the rubber spark plug caps, I have been using those caps for over 40 years and have never
had a problem with them the one fitted to my old sidevalve BSA wood have to be 30 years old. I bought a few
of them from a local motorcycle shop for our trip down the Murray River. Within a couple of days they were
splitting and heat affected on the other hand the ones I bought at a mower shop (smaller in design) were still
in good condition at the end of the run. It’s not a case of you get what you pay for as they were about the same
price I think we are now seeing copies of copies of copies coming out of China and some are rubbish.

John
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

For regular use these are the Plug Caps I use, NGK LZFH, non resistered with a seal at each end which makes them fairly water resistant, reliable, takes seconds to fit, they don't loosen themselves once on and the good part is that they only cost £1.00 each :D :D :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.24 KiB) Viewed 1097 times