SD transome mounts

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bercan

SD transome mounts

Post by bercan »

Im looking for SD transome mounts for one of my engines.They dont have to be pretty but I dont want them broken.I just want to complete the engine I have and this is all thats missing.Willing to pay good money if someone has one for sale.There is a seagull forsale on UK ebay but seller wont ship.Will buy complete engine just for the mounts.
bercan

Re: SD transome mounts

Post by bercan »

Is this a hard item to find?? there is a gull on UK Ebay going for 20 pounds..it has the saddles Im looking for but the guy wont ship.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Those skeletal bronze brackets are indeed scarce. In my opinion they're nopt actually a very good bracket - way too much to simply shake loose!.

But the crude 'soldier proof' brackets that we reckon most SD motors had are very rare indeed.
bercan

Post by bercan »

Im just throwing it out there.I race here and no intentions of running with those saddles.Im cleaning up both engines,painting one ie block tank and drive shaft tube,the other will be left as is.just clean and original apart from new paint on the steel tank.my mouth waters when I see these mounts,the engine would look so sweet with an original pair.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi all

i've just bought the engine in question from the bay!
the block is toast,cracked to hell! gearbox is seized solid, bits missing from the ignition (top cover points box lid)
the good bits though are the mounting (the skeletal one that we all like with brass turn down thumbscrews, yum yum! ) a useable carb, a tiller,crankcases top and bottom,later style amal throttle (the turned up style rather than the straighter one) steel tank with bayonet fitting cap without a breather, later type tank mounts instead of the cast ally ones, an 8com spark plug,exhaust tube in brass, copper water pipe and a few odd bits and bobs that dont belong to a seagull.
so it looks like i've got my work cut out for the next couple of weeks at least, dont quite know what i'm going to do with it yet?
maybe just strip it for bits and help to restore my other sd and sdp with the RIGHT bits.
keep you posted

jon
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

A happy new owner! Well done! Make a topic for your restoration. We all enjoy such topics and pictures.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, lets see what you are doing, we may be able to help with spares :)
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

UPDATE

well things are getting interesting, this is not quite what i thought it was?
serial number is D9666 which makes this a very early model 102 direct drive from about 1946 ish!

the transom mount has already found its way onto my SD and now looks much better for it.
i am currently working on getting the piston moving in the block so i can pull the engine apart (the block is absolutely TOAST) its been soaking all last night with wd40 so hopefully with a bit of persuasion from a blow torch it might get moving, we'll see.

next job will be to see if the ignition still works.

the spark plug i thought was an 8com its not? its a 7com!!!!!!! very unusual twin electrode like 8com but not if that makes sense?

in due course i will be putting up photos.
any thoughts or help very much appreciated gents

regards jon

has anybody tried to weld the skeg of a seagull before. this one is quite corroded but only around the skeg. its got the sd type gearbox with oil nipples on the side but its missing one nipple. a job for next weekend i think?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

UPDATE

i've got the block apart- eventually! not too bad really. there's a bit of play in the wrist pin but the rest seems ok, just very dirty.
i've also dug out a spare block which should also look ok, the one with the removable core plugs, so that will go together soon.

the ignition system also works after several hours of careful filling of the points and a good clean its come up pretty good. makes a fairly good spark too.
surprising really as the guy i bought it from said the motor had been sitting in a damp shed for the last ten or so years! also the guys father said that his father had used the seagull along the welsh coast during the late 40's early 50's, so that kind of ties in with everything i've seen on this engine, in otherwords tonnes of saltwater corrosion everywhere!
you'll see when i put up the photos just what i mean about the block. SHOCKING!!!
so there we are, another busy weekend for me in seagull land

next week the gearbox i think?
stay tuned

jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That's interesting as I have recently purchased a D with the skeletal bronze bracket. I wonder if this was the only model that it was supplied with? It does look good on the naval SD's. Does yours have a lock pin and chain? Be good to see photos.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi hugz
well the only reason i bought this motor was for the transom mount only.
however, things have moved on a bit now and i just cant bring myself to break it up for parts so i've decided to restore it.
as for the skeletal brackets being fitted to the early 102's, i'm not entirely sure.
i'm pretty sure on the home page of this site i have seen a black and white advert for an early 102 from about 1946 or thereabouts which does show a skeletal bracket on one of them with the two blade high pitched prop as fitted to the SD's. so from that i can only imagine that as production started to ramp up after the end of the war, any SD surplus bits that may or may not have been fitted to the 10,000 or so WAR motors could have ended up on peacetime motors for general circulation. It looks as though BS were using up any surplus parts left over from the war effort before introducing a new model to the line up?
The serial number of D9666 makes me wonder if production had really taken off with gusto in 1946. I'm not entirely sure though as the raw materials were still fairly scarce for a lot of industries at that time. (i'm sure somebody will correct me if i'm wrong) Not forgetting of course that a fair chunk of the south coast of england was bombed pretty good by jerry, in particular southampton, portsmouth, chichester and london of cousre. BS at that time were i think far enough away from the trouble to escape any bombing.

I've also got a model C1655l from the same year which looks identical except for its got a clutch, but thats waiting patiently in the corner of the shed till i get a bit more time.

going back to D9666, i've already mentioned the block has self-destructed LITERALLY. Its blown the whole side out of the block, but interestingly i can now see where the water jackets run from and to. (STAY TUNED FOLKS THERE'S PHOTOS COMING SHORTLY) there's a lot to be learned from this.

So there we are, a full blown resto job coming up

keep the thoughts coming gents coz this is getting good.

jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. That period of seagull history has quite a lot of grey areas, what with ministry production finishing and the post war production starting. We know the SDPs came first, followed by D and c models? SDPs seem to share a similar spec to D and C models, with the big difference of the SDPs having a short water jacket. Those skeletal brackets were not produced for long, no surprise as they are pretty flimsy!
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

hi oyster

thats interesting because i thought it was the other way around. not that i'm an expert at all just an enthusiastic amateur!

what i think i'm going to do is move this topic of conversation to the general section as this thread originally started in the wanted section.
just trying to remain correct within the guidlines of the forum etc.

so see you all in the general section where we will pick up again.

jon