British Anzani Class B Racer

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Danielking

Re: British Anzani Class B Racer

Post by Danielking »

A mild steel exhaust would suite a seagull but not an anzani racer.
I intend using 316 1.5mm wall tubing, as it's a naturally aspirated engine. Heat shouldn't be an issue, when professionally welded with an argon purge.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It's not the heat, stainless will fracture during use.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Please explain your last statement?
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Stainless steel 316 grade is not flexible. So the pulses could lead to fracturing on weak points. That must be what Charles is saying.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

If money was no object. I would be using inconel 625 or titanium, so with a limited buget 316 stainless steel is more than adequate for this application. The strength of the material is not an issue here, issues with stainless steel cracking when used in exhaust systems is due to poor welding techniques and practices.
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

:o Hmm,thought I recognised that motor...Norfolk? If so,it came from a good home,he's a sound bloke and knows his stuff. I've been at his place,he has some fine motors in his collection.
As for the exhaust,as long as it sounds good,that's what really matters! :D
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

OK do what you feel is best.
But expect fractures 6mm from the weld with 316, & you might be better off with 18 or 20 gauge.
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

As far as I'm aware people use forums and chat groups, to gain knowledge and helpful information through good and sound advice.

You are clearly giving your opinion without doing your homework on the subject. You are not even having the decency to read posts correctly either. For in my earlier posts I stated my Intensions to use 1.5mm thick 316 stainless steel for my project, and the reasons why.

You advised using 18/20 gauge (thinner) in your latest reply, to STOP cracks occurring. 18/20 gauge is NOT suitable for the application, cracks WILL occur.

I'm very disappointed here you are suppose to be a moderator with experience, my dad says, this is a classic case of a person that thinks he knows all, but really knows F**k all and using sarcasm is the lowest form of whit!

If you enlighten me with some backed up reasons why 316 stainless steel is NOT considered suitable, I would be pleased to take that info on board.
Until that happens I will agree with Clint Eastwood who said in one of his famous films "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one". I will go with this,after all we are supposed to be a democracy!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Ouch!
My comments came from having made several of these, perhaps you might be better off reading one of the many books on 2 stroke tuned exhausts.

I think that this is the end of my input on this subject, as I wouldn't want to displease you further, & congratulate your Farther on his description, many of my friends would agree.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Daniel is there really any need to be so unpleasant?
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Daniel - will you be making the exhausts/ testing the engine in the near future? Let us know how you get on, and some pcitures would be good.

Rick
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Hi Rick, yes I will be making the exhausts as soon as the material arrives, And will upload pictures when I can

Thanks Dan