Clanking Sounds

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Donald

Clanking Sounds

Post by Donald »

I have a silver century WS 3385 AA0. After sitting a year, it ran a bit then stopped. Had fun getting it started again, turned out the jet under the banjo fitting was stopped up. Also adjusted points. I have three questions:

1) I have never heard another seagull running, do they all make a racket? Mine has a clanging sound, especially at idle.
2) is there just one place to put gear oil, down at the bottom end, or two?
3) Does the AA0 in my engine number mean 1980? I read somewhere that silver century was only made until 1978, so I'm confused. Should it have 10:1 mix? 140 weight gear oil? Thanks to you, if you can rest my mind which wonders about these things daily!
John@sos

Re: Clanking Sounds

Post by John@sos »

Hello Donald, Your Seagull is a 1970 model, a Direct Drive Silver Century 4 hp. Noisy yes, there is no silencer, just a tube for the exhaust to nicely resonate in! There is a distinct pinging sound to a Seagull two stroking. However there can be clanking noises if the gearbox is run dry and the gears get worn and out of mesh! 140 grade oil, see the FAQ page. Runing on too lean an oil mix can cause trouble at the top end too! 10:1 mix unless it has been converted.... See also the FAQ page. I have the conversion jets readily available.

.. Have fun, Regards, John SOS
Donald

Post by Donald »

John, thanks for the quick and helpful info. I will certainly put new 140 weight in the bottom and see how it sounds then. After checking the FAQ again, I'm still a bit confused. My 1970 seagull's carb seems to be the Amal 416 one, not the two jet one. To quote your FAQ page, "Incidentally the Bing carbs will run OK on 25:1 without any change. ... As do the later 400 Series Amal carbs (Click here to see a diagram of the Amal 400 series carb)". Does that mean I can use 25:1? If not, how do I tell if my Amal 416 has been converted? Do you have conversion kits for it too? Second thing that confuses me: your cutaway diagram on your home page shows red color down in the gear box, I assume that is the 140 weight oil. But there is red colour in the bottom part of the big, fat vertical tube at the back of the engine. If that red colour represents oil, how does it get in there? Is there anywhere a description of how the seagull engine functions, e.g., what the big tube is for, and the two little holes on the upper part of it? Where water goes, exhaust goes? Again, much appreciation, don't want to kill this engine through ignorance, as its quite strong. I am amazed by it, it seems the most beautifully designed machine I've ever encountered! Regards, Donald
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello donald, if your motor has an Amal 416, it has been replaced at some stage and yes it will happily run on 25:1 without any conversion! the red on the cutaway model is just paaint! Cut a ways are always painted red to high light the fact that you could not normally see that bit! Fret not! Regards, John SOS
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks again,
John. Still one puzzle for me.
You say my WS 3385 AA0 is a 1970 motor. On your ID page it says "In 1973 the codes continued with double letters, i.e. AA 3= January 1973."

Why does my 1970 motor have a double A then?
Is that just one of those anomalies?

Kind Regards from NZ, Donald
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Donald, well spotted!

It is not a 1970 but a 1980 model,
HOWEVER from 1979 all Seagulls were suposed to have left the factory as Electronic ignition models with a 'E' prefix! That is why I did not see it earlier.
... For some reason Seagull seem to have supplied a points ignition with this one... Not the first time I have heard of this happening

.... Nothing wrong with points, in fact they are possibly more reliable than the early CD igns.... 1980 date also explains the Amal 416 carb!

Happy Seagulling! John
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks, John, for confirming my suspicions.

Now I can go seagulling happily, even in the scary Manukau Harbour near home (fifth largest harbour I think, but the number one tidal flow in the world, running like a river through a narrow opening).

BTW, a friend listened to my seagull today, and said "Just sounds like a seagull to me." When I asked him about the noises I was worrying about, he said, "Just like every other seagull I've heard!" So, enough worrying, time to go boating instead. Keep up the great work!
Charles UK

Post by Charles UK »

Donald Now your not worried about the clanking anymore

I think you should give the Waikato Seagull race this Easter some serious thought. All you've got to do is get from Karapiro to almost the Sea powered by a Seagull, you get 2 days & a feed at the prize giving.

You will find a link on the racing page to one of the Kiwi sites & they can tell you how to find all the details. John Crighton the 7 time winner lives in Waiuku & unless you live the other side of the Manakau heads is only down the road from you.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Charles, thanks for that tip.

I have already checked out the race at Lake Rotoiti, and hope to go. Seems there are quite a few Seagull events in NZ this year. I'm on the 'other side' of the Manukau Heads, near Laingholm, so Waiuku is a fair drive from here.
But hope I get to meet John Crighton on the Waikato!

BTW, Do you know of any Seagull events on the European Continent?