Warms the cockles of your heart...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Warms the cockles of your heart...

Post by charlesp »

On a day like today, which in Poole Harbour is unseasonably wet and blowy to the point of being horrible, the racing was understandably badly attended. Our club was no different, and despite a brave decision by the Race Officer to allow it to continue, only a few of the more hardy dinghy sailors went out. A couple of GP14's were out there planing away and enjoying themselves, many others retired to sit in the bar.

Out of the murk a small light grey RIB appeared, and landed at the slipway. The distinctive shape of a black tank and a Villiers magneto caught my eye, and I focussed the binoculars on the craft. Brass tiller handle, clover leaf prop, it had to be a quite early Forty, so off I went to investigate.

A father and son team had taken their just-restored LS for its first run. They obviously had great faith in their old motor - which the lad told me with immense pleasure hadn't run for the last 27 years. He pointed out that 'in the world' rather than 'for the world' on the magneto cover plate. Beaming with pleasure, both of them had rebuilt her to a super condition.

Best of all, they decided on a test drive today of all days. Brilliant.