Hi im trying to get a spark on this thing:)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

niander

Hi im trying to get a spark on this thing:)

Post by niander »

Hi I'm trying to get a spark on this thing:)
any advice?
can someone tell me what points gap to set?
where can i get a new points spring?
also what type oil do i put in the gearbox...
and also can someone tell me what the bolt types/threads are ...ie...not metric!
any advice?
cheers...
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

The absolute best advice to a new owner would be to explore the FAQ from the home page. Along with the past postings on this forum they contain an indispensable wealth of information and advice on the care and feeding of Seagulls. They are an extremely entertaining read as well as a mine of information. A couple of hours well spent to read the lot!

In the meantime start with a 20 thou gap and make sure that the contact faces of the points are clean and well polished. Whatever abrasive you have used to clean the points it is always a good idea to close the points on to a strip of thin card and then withdraw it. Repeat this several times. This clears away any grit and dust. The slightest speck will be enough to prevent a spark in such a low voltage circuit.

I doubt if you do need a new points spring unless it is physically damaged. John Williams , who runs SOS and hosts this forum, will surely have a replacement. His details are on the home page. And his phone number is in the logo at the top of each forum page; useful if you are in the UK .

For gearbox oil use single grade SAE140 or SAE90 mineral oil with or without EP additives. Once again check the FAQ for the correct oil for your model and advice on alternative grades when running under arctic conditions or across tropical lagoons.......

The majority of fasteners on a Seagull are BSF thread with the odd BA thread thrown in. You will find that you mainly need 1/4 , 5/16 and 3/8 inch BSF spanners. Once again this is a subject, along with the use of Whitworth tools, which is covered in the FAQ.

Peter
niander

Post by niander »

Ok thanks i will look at the FAQ
The spring is almost broke due to rust.
20 thou=what in metric please?.....oh i see its 0.5 mm:)
I make my spanners fit using my trusty grinder!
mrdraddy

Post by mrdraddy »

Instead of ruining your spanners while you are ordering a set of points from john splash out on one of his seagull multi spanners.(John, i should be on commision,thats twice tonight i've sent people your way!!).
regards paul