TC 102 water cooling problem

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

TC 102 water cooling problem

Post by red42hj »

Following on from my post ( headed RD102 by mistake ) I ran the engine again and found no water coming out at all. But did get exhaust fumes. Did as you said Nudge. Everything looks good inside, very clean, nicely oily , no evidence of cracks. Rings are in good odds barrel good. The cylinder joint gasket is in good condition, although the bolts were not as tight as I expected. At the bottom end everything looks clean and no blockages. May put in a new barrel gasket and try it again .perhaps warm up the barrel and put some water through to see if there is a crack between the exhaust/ cooling wall?
Nudge

Re: TC 102 water cooling problem

Post by Nudge »

Have you tried running the engine with the prop off in the wash down barrel? (can't remember)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If you get no joy after trying Nudge's suggestion, take it out of the water, remove the bottom end of the water into the exhaust tube from the top of the water into the exhaust/tell tale fitting & attach it into the end of your garden hose after checking the olive doesn't come off.

Now back flush the cooling system to see if any water comes out of the water inlet holes in the lower unit, if you get water out of the exhaust you will to check the water feed tube from the water pump housing to the cylinder base.

There is no rocket science in a Seagull!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Going to try a few things later today. So far I cannot find any reason for what appears to be exhaust fumes coming out of the water outlet.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Isn't it connected into the exhaust?
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

I backflushed the cooling system with a hose attached to feed pipe and it came out of the head top outlet as it should. ( the head was off of the crankcase ) there does not appear to be any connection between the water outlet and the exhaust.It goes around the head/barrel then straight out the fitting on the top and down the outside via the pipe. In other words, the water does not feed into the exhaust, only out of the small pipe on the outside of the exhaust tube.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

I should add to the last post that I removed the leg and pump housing to access the bottom of the water pipe where it attaches via a flexible pipe. Impeller and all waterways are clean and good.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can someone post a picture of the telltale block on the side of an 102 exhaust tube so Red can see where all 102's feed water back into the exhaust, perhaps a previous owner has used a silver century exhaust as a repair.

Without doing as I suggested you won't be able to see if the water delivery tube has split, not an uncommon problem with brass water delivery tubes.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Here you go, the water outlet from the cylinder goes into the exhaust via a adaptor. Most goes back into the exhaust to help cool the lower exhaust, some spits out of the small hole to act as a witness.

Sometimes the water supply tube becomes blocked, or sometime the tube comes loose and is then not connected hence no water feed.

More often there is corrosion in the waterways in the cylinder and flakes of rust block the water flow. If you take the cylinder top and bottom pipe fittings off, then you can remove the flakes of corrosion.

I’d strip everything down, clean the tube etc, and also try to get as much out of the cylinder you can.
Attachments
100EAFBC-6F3E-4E5E-82DE-0E317E3B7C2E.jpeg
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Ah, I see what you mean now, I,'ll take off the tube again and look at it .Thanks fellas, I,'ll keep you posted.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Cool, keep us posted on what you find. A good clean out for a start.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Thanks Oyster , done all as you said. Went out for a run today, but all was well for only 5 minutes. It then stopped spitting water out and overheated. On inspection at home tonight I found black oil inside the water impeller chamber. The only thing I can think of is that exhaust gases are blowing down the drive shaft. I am going to replace the water supply tube in case it is leaking as well, although it looked ok. Could it be cracked head,( rings are ok) or leaky base gasket? Not sure now.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Oil there is usually from a worn pinion bearing.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Would that indicate any exhaust pressure interfering with water pumping up into the head, or just another problem?
chris

Post by chris »

what Charles said, if the pinion is worn gearbox oil can get into the cooling system and block it, had it happen with a very worn motor