Forty series is this a Wipac 2 fault?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Re: Forty series is this a Wipac 2 fault?

Post by african imp »

Hugz wrote:Excellent news. What is the next project? Always good to keep it to one thread. We read them all. It is rare that the wipac fails so l wouldn't think a spare coil is required. Re motor bike using wipac mag think of motor bikes built in 1967 or later with a single cylinder. Maybe a lawnmower or concrete mixer, stationary engine etc
Wipac spare? I do have a part siezed 102 engine here with a Wipac coil in it, that can be my spare for now?

Not that I have any need for one at this time but tomorrow is another day !
african imp

Post by african imp »

croweater wrote:Well done there would have be quite a cheer when it fired. The Hillman in the background of some of your photos
reminds me of an interesting blog I came across 4 or 5 years ago, is that you?

Hugz coils are half a century old now. Can picture you riding an old BSA Bantam smoke cloud drifting behind :lol:
guessing then you bought the Transit van.
John
My wife assited with the copper faced hammer to remove the flywheel prior to my changing over the Wipac coil, she then commented Will it start now?

I have to say I was less than confident but gave the start rope a good pull and off went the motor, running and just perfect!

My wife puts it down to her being there and who am I to argue?

The car is my 1967 Hillman Imp Californian coupe, I have owned it twenty five years, it was an export car to Mozambique, licence plates were MLH 27-23 when the car was auctioned in a Johannesburg police sale, say 1977?

If it was a blog you saw it on it may be my own? www.ckdboats.com, click on the blog button to move to my blog, otherwise its on the Hillman Imp Club forum pages.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

croweater wrote:Hugz coils are half a century old now. Can picture you riding an old BSA Bantam smoke cloud drifting behind :lol:
guessing then you bought the Transit van.
John
I had to replace the coil in the transit. She is 45 years old now!
croweater

Post by croweater »

If it was a blog you saw it on it may be my own? http://www.ckdboats.com, click on the blog button to move to my blog, otherwise its on the Hillman Imp Club forum pages.[/quote]

That's it didn't think there would be many other wooden boat and seagull fans that own a Hillman Imp in Sth Africa.
My wife as probably many others on this site often has to give me a hand.
John
croweater

Post by croweater »

I had to replace the coil in the transit. She is 45 years old now![/quote]

Guessing not its first, wouldn't be many unrestored Transits on the road over there now.
John
african imp

Post by african imp »

croweater wrote:If it was a blog you saw it on it may be my own? http://www.ckdboats.com, click on the blog button to move to my blog, otherwise its on the Hillman Imp Club forum pages.
That's it didn't think there would be many other wooden boat and seagull fans that own a Hillman Imp in Sth Africa.
My wife as probably many others on this site often has to give me a hand.
John[/quote]

A few days back I was asked was I a Seagull enthusiast?

Well my British Seagull days started about thrirty five years back, I bought a job lot, three sets of wet weather clothing, a nine foot long GRP dinghy and a small Seagull motor.

I was later in Rio Do Janerio, on a 37' 00" long yacht and with the Seagull motor but without the dinghy, we needed a dinghy to get to shore so I swopped the Seagull with a Swiss guy for a Brasilian made inflateable boat.

The picture is the GRP dinghy and about three years back, Hout Bay Harbour, with Table Mountain in the distance.

So I have been a British Seagull fan for three and a half decades now.
Attachments
Roy with Duckling Dinghy HBYC.jpg
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

african imp wrote:To be honest I really do not know?

An update, over a week later.

Six pages later, I changed the old Wipac coil for another one and the engine started first time and ran perfectly, please read on if you have the time.

I tried to start this engine in 2017 and had no luck, now I am back on it and still no luck.

I am not new to Seagulls and have a few here, so I can mix and match things like carbs, plugs and plug leads, which I have changed all of.

I have tested three spark plugs and each gave a good spark.

When I started on the motor again yesterday, its on a 25:1 fuel mix with a special jet needle from SOS, I got a hint of ignition as the flywheel came to the end of its turns when the start line was pulled, then nothing.

The compression, is very good, really tops.

The points are set to o.5mm and they have been cleaned with a small flexible file I have for that job.

The fuel is fresh and unleaded, the 2 stroke oil is Shells Gemini for marine outboards.

Can anyone give me an idea on what it wrong here?
https://youtu.be/GvaYWeCDP_I
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow