Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Daryl

Re: IGN Module

Post by Daryl »

ATOM MOD.6.JPG
ATOM MOD.7.JPG
ATOM MOD.8.JPG
More construction. Due to diferent pulse polarity betwean Villiers & Wipac coils they are wired differently. Using the colour of the wires in the assembled picture. The Wipac is wired Black to ground & Red to the coil. Villiers is Black to coil & Red to ground.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

ATOM copy on VICTA.JPG
ATOM MOD.10.JPG
ATOM MOD.9.JPG
ATOM MOD red circ.jpg
After more testing found this transistor will shutdown then will restart. The problem appears to the large HV spike across the transistor. The solution appears to be fit a 1.5KE200A (1N6303A) Transorb . This seems to fix the problem, have run the module for over 1 hour on a warm day cutting grass with an old 2 stroke Victa lawn mower. Im pretty sure this has made the module reliable. It gives a nice fat blue spark at quite low RPM for starting. Checked the timing & its about 2 degrees earlier than the original points.
Jim bow

Post by Jim bow »

I salute your electronics knowledge and skills ... I have none.
I purchased a Nova II ignition module for $10.00 on Ebay here in the states.

I had a Wipac in which the condenser was non functional. The ignition module solved the problem.

Here is a video of a similar installation. Move ahead to 55 seconds to see the module.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md-6H0rfEeI
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Interesting that none of the pictures in this thread are viewable any more. The pictures of the module & modified circuit, are on photo bucket debe5.