silver century conversion,

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

roymoore

silver century conversion,

Post by roymoore »

Has anyone ever tried to convert a seagull century to electric motor? I have seen videos of people converting mariner and evenrude, just want to know if it is practical, I have a seagull no one seems to want so I may give it a try.

Cheers Roy
Hugz

Re: silver century conversion,

Post by Hugz »

I've seen a steam seagull.

Electric: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6079&hilit=electric+seagull
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Give it a go Roy.

You will have to call it some other than BS I am afraid.

Cheers

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Liam2k3

Post by Liam2k3 »

I was thinking about this yesterday. 1.5hp 240v motor and my honda generator upfront in the boat. Petrol hybrid.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a electric motor on a seagull before, but I cannot see it to be very practical, you are going to have to have something to generate the power, heavy battery's, or another engine to give you the power.
So cut out the middle man and put the generator engine on the seagull, which is just the same as using a more modern outboard motor.

P.S. I will be under the car replacing the oil pump outside in the cold, So if you need or are expecting anything from me, it will have to wait, sorry, I need a car.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

P.S. I will be under the car replacing the oil pump outside in the cold, So if you need or are expecting anything from me, it will have to wait, sorry, I need a car.
It's nice and warm here... 26C and sunny :P
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I like this one.

A bit more development work i think would have this just about perfect. It certainly goes well for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfYAeXTOUk

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

As stated in the video, "having run down the battery's after twenty minutes or so"
Like the John deer tractor that can go 34 miles before a recharge and a three hours charging time.
So you are going to have expensive charging points in your fields and sit about for three hours in a tractor that has cost you hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Once this electric lark is cheaper and better, it will not be cheaper any more for the user.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Like i said, a bit more development work would have it better than it is now.

How long a battery will last will depend on how much juice your sucking from it at the time, but this sort of technology is changing all the time.
One day someone will come up with a better offering, but i still like it for its heath robinson appearance.

Bearing in mind we've seen a variation of this sort of thing not so long ago with another forum member.
Seagulls were never meant to go as fast as this one, so maybe with a smaller electric motor that's more in keeping with a seagulls traditional power output you may be able to get more range out of the battery/s.
Perfect for a bit of stealthy fishing though :P

This kind of repurposing motors from one use to another is never going to end well.

I wonder if the new electric formula E cars have the same sorts of trouble. Eventually we might see some of this technology filtering down into all sorts of motive devices.
Anyone seen the google bicycle yet! Very clever stuff going on there.

Jon