SD 102

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Re: SD 102

Post by Hugz »

A trip up you mean :lol:

I'll certainly give that some consideration. Thanks.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The cowl:

Patent Application December 6th 1943
Complete Specification left November 21st 1944
Complete Specification accepted March 26th 1945

A lengthy business! But it does illustrate that they were thinking about it during the war.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

"A trip up you mean :lol:

I'll certainly give that some consideration. Thanks."

Ha - Right! Forgot you were upside down! Will try to get you our info by the end of the month.

Have a good one.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Patent Application December 6th 1943
Complete Specification left November 21st 1944
Complete Specification accepted March 26th 1945
So would this imply that the Seagull Patent cowl would be pre patent completion date, or is it a case of what came first the chicken or the egg.
P1010226.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
You had the same thing with the later cowl with choke, that appeared with Seagull patent at one point, maybe worth looking into.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Hugz,

I've just shot you an email. I've attached a spreadsheet with info for my SD's & SDP. More info to come.

Have a good one..
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Thanks Jason.

Received. Good info and an early one.

Cheers.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I simply have no idea when the first cowls were made, or when the first ones with "Patent" were made, it's a mystery to me. The fact that it was wartime, with very little if any production for non-military use was going on, merely muddies the water.

Lots of these cowls must have been fitted later, those trumpet intakes were pretty but vulnerable to crushing.

My favourite is the bizarre one on the F - with that massively over-engineered choke arrangement.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

This is what is puzzling me about this storm cowl, patents were applied for in the early to mid forty's, so maybe seagull just started making them around 1945, so can anyone explain this picture that has been sitting on Johns main site in plain view for all to see from 1939.
single gull add.jpg
A 102 with storm cowl, steel tank, skeletal bracket and so on.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I think you will find it is miss labelled. Looks like a D with brass skeletal bracket and post war fuel line. I have seen a pic on ebay I think that had the full date but I forget and like a twit didn't take a screen shot. Looks like a steel tank though. I thought they had changed to brass but must be transitional.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The SoS site has the wrong information, NO, Charles you should know better.
By the way Hugo, I know I'm getting old, but that looks very much like a clutch folk on the back of that gearbox. :shock:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Sorry Keith, my job description as the Headmaster, only extends as far as the forum, & my score over the last 12 months for that, is a bit harsh 1, not harsh enough more than 10.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Keith.P wrote:By the way Hugo, I know I'm getting old, but that looks very much like a clutch folk on the back of that gearbox. :shock:
So there is. Must be an Australian 'D" from Melbourne ha ha.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Did D's and C's have a steel tank though?!
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

The 3 i've got have brass bayonet tanks. Don't know about any other very early post war 102's but it seems likely that all the steel tanks got used up
in the SD/P run.

"SEAGULL" (non choked inlet cowls) appear on C's,D's, AC's,AD's and AHC's from 46/7 up to around 49ish.(bit of a strange time here in production as there seems to be quite a few "transitional" changes afoot) There after the patented non choke cowl is in full swing going into the 60's. Of course going back a bit earlier into the war years you will find SD's and SDP's with a non choked cast aluminium cowl as per what we've seen already.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Is that magazine 1939? It does not seem to be a 1939 engine, and I'm not sure "The best outboard motor in the world" was used before the war?

So after all the hot air are we actually going to see some meaningful data on post war 102s?