New Owner of an LS; Very Confused as to what I have

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Seakaye12

New Owner of an LS; Very Confused as to what I have

Post by Seakaye12 »

Hello All; this is my first post here after lurking for what MUST be years now....

Last week I acquired my first Seagull. The ID is LS12529.

I have looked and looked at the various charts here and on other sites....and I am more confused as ever as to what I have and what year it was manufactured.

Can someone help me?

Thank You!
Charles uk

Re: New Owner of an LS; Very Confused as to what I have

Post by Charles uk »

Have you tried the engine identifier page?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Seakaye12

Post by Seakaye12 »

Yes Charles I did and it comes back as a "Little 40". So; what does that mean? Is a "Little 40" different from a 40 minus? Different from a Fourty Plus?

Also.....My serial number range does not seem to appear in the various listings.

Also...here the LS series is referred to as a "Super 40 Plus":

http://www.britishseagullparts.com/Super40Plus.htm

I am trying to do my own research but; like I say....it is confusing and seemingly conflicting information.

JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I’ve got a couple of LS’s they are basically a 40 plus, the model after the FVP and before the SJP, from what I gather it was the first 40 model with horizontal tank mounts on the head hence the oval plain ended tank lies flat, the later model has “Seagull” embossed on the tank ends. I can’t for the life of me remember if they were 64cc or less so hopefully someone will jump in and explain.
The rare LM model was the 40 minus version.
I’m pretty certain what I’ve said is correct but this is based on the motors I’ve got, with Seagull it’s sometimes hard to be accurate as there have been so many minor changes even on a certain model throughout its production run.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yes you have a little 40 series engine.

The LS (1953 - 1958) was called a Super 40 Plus because of the gearbox ratio for heavier hulls.

This LS was the next gen FVP.

Now the other one a LM.

The LM (1954 -55) was known as Little Model 40 or 40 minus because of once again a different gearbox.

The LM was very brief production run to a newer things and was then the next gen FV.

http://britishseagullparts.com/identifi ... orty-Minus

You missed this with your research.

Welcome aboard and please post your motor (With pics....we Love pics) under the General Topics thingy.

I have a couple of LS and they are very smooth running motors.

Regards

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Being that I have seen the paperwork logos for the little forty and the super forty, and they are different, calling them both little forty makes no sense.
F,-40cc, FV, FVP-56cc, the LS has a Longer Stroke and is 64cc.
The LS crank and con rod will not fit previous models, as it is not a little forty, it is a Super forty, named as such by British Seagull.
The engine identifier is known to be incorrect.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Looking through paperwork, a Seagull Drawing of the FV, FVP, was just called at the time "The Model 40", which became the Little Model Forty, the LS was "The Super Model 40" and the LM was "The Forty Minus".
As the next forty models came along and it was also 64cc, the same crank, the same con rod, are they not all super 40's, no they are just "The Model 40".
It is shown in literature from British Seagull and I posted about this many years ago and proved my point back then.
But because people rely on the engine identifier and all the information from SOS, if SOS info is wrong, so will all the other websites and so the same question gets asked over and over again.
I remember when the model F was just a myth, " No it doesn't exist" "seagull never made it" well we know better now, that's how long out of date some information is, which pretty much contradict what this site is run for.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Keith.P wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 pm
But because people rely on the engine identifier and all the information from SOS, if SOS info is wrong, so will all the other websites and so the same question gets asked over and over again.
I remember when the model F was just a myth, " No it doesn't exist" "seagull never made it" well we know better now, that's how long out of date some information is, which pretty much contradict what this site is run for.
I am sure John will happily update the SOS site if creditable information becomes available, Thought you had disappeared Keith ? Or are you just back to have a pop at Johns site.

Constructive comment I find is always beneficial, or is Facebook more educational.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Showing your true colours as usual I see HA, are you just trying to remind me why I left this site in the first place I see.
Creditable information is available and has been shown time and again, just never acted upon.
Face book, yes that seems to get a lot of questions, especially why is my LS a little forty, when it's a super forty? Funny that.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Wow Keith looks like lockdown has affected you, hope you are OK?

Not sure what you are trying to say in your previous post, "showing my true colours" what is that supposed to mean?

Perhaps it would be best if you left it some more years before posting.

Having a dig at a free site is a cheap shot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The long and the short of it is, the engine identifier LS details are wrong and can not be fixed according to admin.
Having a pop on a forum that prides itself on only posting accurate proven information doesn't seem to ring very true any more.
Don't worry HA, the forum is all yours again, will not be posting ever again, so no need for any sarcastic reply.