Hello guys

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Avandriver

Hello guys

Post by Avandriver »

Hello guys .

Well the story goes like this .

I have for a long time wanted to build a small boat , I am in my fifties and have got a bit of free time now that the kids have fled the nest . However my other half has pointed out that I am a lazy swine and paddling a small boat is something she cant see me doing . so I went out and bought a small outboard motor to play with before I start to buld my boat . A 1976 Johnson 2 hp , its a great little thing but it is just not very likeable . so I stuck that yank in the back of the shed and looked around for something that more suited me .

I wanted something vintage and british , I have in the past been the owner of a few J A P sea bees so I was looking for something similar . Living in Bolton which is not much of a nautical place means that bargains of the boat engine kind are few and far between ( it had to be cheap too ) .
I stumbled on a British seagull silver century that looked ok and was a bargain price via Ebay .

https://youtu.be/rUOShI4BW0c

Not bad Eh

I need to sort out the water flow problem but all seems very good .

Now for the questions

How do I make it a bit more friendly on the ears

Is the jubilee clip the only way to hold the engine up on the tube .

Steve
Oyster 49

Re: Hello guys

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome! You will get more water flow with the prop not engaged. This is because the rotating prop tends to aerate the water and thus there is less water to go into the pump.

If it’s not pumping water whilst the prop is not going round then it’s time to remove the head and clean out the water jacket using a thin screwdriver. Put it back together and it will circulate water fine. Gently when removing those head bolts work them backwards and forwards :P
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Jubilee clip works fine, but if you look on eBay you will see height adjusting clamps, which are the correct seagull parts.
Liam2k3

Post by Liam2k3 »

To quieten the old girl down i found making a disc from aluminium 5mm thick to fit inside the exhaust. With 4mm holes drilled through it(losts of them like mesh) slid up into the exhaust pipe and secured by drilling and tapping through the side of the tube into the plate. One hole needs to be drilled for the water feed tube to pass through. Works really well and an air filter calms the induction noise.