Comments on: Before you start your Seagull for the...

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

BrendanM

Comments on: Before you start your Seagull for the...

Post by BrendanM »

Please use this thread to comment on the Before you start your Seagull for the first time... page.
BrendanM

Re: Comments on: Before you start your Seagull for the...

Post by BrendanM »

Hi All,

We still need someone to identify these parts on Keith.P's diagram please.

Sparkplug.
Magneto (flywheel).
Throttle Cable.
Throttle Lever.
Tiller Handle.
Carburettor.
Propellor.
Dog Clutch.
Gearbox.
Gearbox Drain Plug.
Fuel Line.
Filters (2 of).
Before you start your Seagull for the first time...
Before you start your Seagull for the first time...
seagullc%2040+parts1small.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
Cheers,
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Couple of hints when getting a garage sale outboard. Before starting I remove the spark plug Carb and top of the flywheel. First I get my oil can with a little SAE30 in it I squirt A little oil down into the crankcase and turn the engine upside down turn the engine over by hand slowly to get a little oil into the top bearing, then I turn the engine right way up to clean and check the points. Have a good look at the low tension wire. I then put the top on the flywheel, I hook the spark plug on to the lead and use the starter cable to wind the engine over to see if it has spark. The excess oil you put in the top bearing will have drained into the bottom bearing and lubed that. It is also useful to squirt a little oil into the spark plug hole before you check for spark. I clean out the carburetor next. Usually it is completely dismantled and cleaned, then reassembled. When you have the engine upside down if there is any old fuel in the tank this is the time to drain it out. Fill tank with fresh fuel and refit spark plug. Prime carb and it should start after a couple of pulls, hopefully. To run engine for a while in a drum of water it is essential that the propeller is removed, so the engine can pump water properly.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I picked up a very good looking 102 seagull at a garage sale afew years ago & was very lucky that i pulled the motor apart before starting it. What i found was the bigend bearing cap screws were not tied of & only finger tight, a disaster waiting to happen very wary now.
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

The Tinker wrote: To run engine for a while in a drum of water it is essential that the propeller is removed, so the engine can pump water properly
Daryl wrote:I picked up a very good looking 102 seagull at a garage sale afew years ago & was very lucky that i pulled the motor apart before starting it. What i found was the bigend bearing cap screws were not tied of & only finger tight, a disaster waiting to happen very wary now.
Nice posts The Tinker and Daryl, any chance of diagrams or further simple posts telling us how to take the prop off and where are the bigend bearing cap screws are please? ...Then I will add them to The Guide.

Cheers,
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hi Brendan, The Nos & lines are hard to see in green would be better in black. As best i can read the Nos start at the top as1 & goes down RH side as 2,3,4 Etc. 1,Flywheel nut. 2,Cylinder Assy. 3, Fuel cap breather screw. 4,Fuel cap. 5, Fuel tank. 6,Spark plug cover. 7,Spark plug. 8,Ign lead. 9,Cylinder head. 10,Exhaust tube clamp. 11,Cooling water pipe. 12, Exhaust tube. 13, . 14, Drive spring. 15,Washer. 16,Split pin. 17,Propellor. 18, Gear case screw. 19,Oil filler plug. 20,Gearcase. 21,Water pump impellor. 22,Gearbox screw. 23,Drive shaft housing. 24, Thrust block. 25,Drive shaft. 26,Clamp screw. 27,Tilt catch. 28,Tiller handle 29,Magneto base lock screw. 30, Magneto base plate.31,Throttle. 32,Flywheel. 33, Flywheel cover. Hope that helps the carburettor isnt in the diagram, perhaps some one can post an exploded view of the carby here, as my pictures are to big for this site. Daryl
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Daryl... you diamond!

Anyone got a problem with the descriptions? If not, it's going up.

I doubt it ...

Can I help you with the pictures?

Cheers,
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Have started in the guide. Pics are Ok if i use a camera with poor resolution.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

If its any use on some part of the site please use it.

BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Thanks Keith, that's great, I am sure we can use that. :D
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Keith that is extreemly cool!

John
SOS
umitsayman

Post by umitsayman »

Keith has done a perfect, cool job.
Yet, I liked his avatar most!...
Wish we can see a bigger gif somewhere.
If it exists, what's the link?

Have fun!... Best of everything from Turkey...