Proposed Guide Topics...

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: Proposed Guide Topics...

Post by headdownarseup »

I know we keep on about how things absolutely HAVE TO BE accurate, i fully understand this and so does everybody else that uses this site frequently.
It was more directed at new gull owners rather than the same old fellas that frequent this site. No disrespect intended.

The point i was trying to make was there has to be a simpler and easier way for the masses that are new to seagull ownership that by way of a series of short videos acquire at least some information on "how to". The responsibility lies with a prospective owner whether to dismantle or not, but of course we ideally should be there as a backup as we have done since this site started , rather than actually do the job for them. If they bust a bolt that's their look out, not ours. We just offer advice. With anything old that's seen some action like old outboards, words of caution cannot be emphasised enough.

I'm definitely NOT KEEN at making a video myself. No way, no how, not ever. I think whoever makes a video (if at all) should have experience at dismantling/repairing and restoring a range of these old outboards. At least that way whoever is supplying the dialogue in the vids would be responsible for any mistakes and corrections.
That person is NOT ME before you ask.

Keith's right.
A simple search on how do i take an SJP etc. apart. What could be easier?

Most of us on here have our own personal preferences with these older outboards. Some like the pre-war stuff, some like a particular motor type and so on. We could each do this in our own way and offer a video to whoever is in charge for scrutineering before it gets passed off as accurate or rubbish.

Tricky i know, but somebody needs to take the plunge.
Keep up with the modern times gents, technology is a good thing.
5 years + without any new posts on this subject rather took me by surprise too.

Just concerned that's all.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The amount of new people that come on this site for help, most have never seen Johns main help section, me included, never seen it.
To stop the same question over and over again, why not just have a How to section on the forum, most sites have, covering Ignitions per type, Engine types and so on, just the basics, whatever is needed, pictures of the part and what to test or what to look for.
HOW TO CLEAN A CARBURETTOR
HOW TO TEST A COIL
AND SO ON.
Just a section of help files, to get your seagull going again, real basic, nothing too anal, just some pictures and a description of what you need to do, just for the forum.
Anyone could pick a subject if they wish to, posted it on the forum first, slag it off, sorry, discuss it for problems and then locked into the HOW TO section.

YES, NO.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:
Missing pics go back to the last "Site Down" and "A failed Server on a lackluster I.P.........they are gone.
BnC
Agree with your post completely but wanted to touch on this point.

I have seen pics go missing from other forums also, presumably they experienced same as what we did here. In all cases however, pics linked from hosting sites such as photobucket remain visible to all. The only time pics from hosting sites will go missing from posts is when the account at the hosting site has been closed or the user has deleted this pics for whatever reason thus breaking the links.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

If I remember correctly, some years ago the site had a problem, software upgrade, new web host problem, what ever it was, the site got rebooted, reloaded, but the pictures didn't come up, why I don't know, it just happened.
I clean my own pictures off this site every now and then anyway.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Whatever Keith's said i'm in agreement.
Keep it simple to begin with, rip it to bits if you must then discuss like adults before making it official.
Happy with that.

So, who's first to get the ball rolling?

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Where I work the person who says "we need to do this and that" usually gets the job :P
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

And where i work any proposals usually get poo pooed in the first 5 mins of discussion.

They're scared to change apparently!

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I will do a piece an the ignition system if you like, the Villiers coil setup first, I'm not that much interested in the newfangled wypac and so on, but its much the same testing them.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

:P

Nice one Keith
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I made a start, Just going to be a picture and some information on how to test a coil.
The picture is a little basic, but I think it needs to be, would this be good enough?
Last edited by Keith.P on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I can see I was wasting my time as well as everybody else's.
Please feel free to do it yourself.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

With a few lables it will be more than good enough.

Nice work
I can see I was wasting my time as well as everybody else's.
Please feel free to do it yourself.
I must have been typin my post as you where taking it down. :cry:
I think you are doing a very good job and would like to see you carry on with the project. Could you please re post it?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Just a little comment here Keith (and please don't take it the wrong way) there's only 12 hours between your rendering and your last post. Not everybody has had a chance to look over it yet. My normal computer time is 6-11 pm when i get in from work. Just saying

I think what you're doing is fab, i really do. But as Nudge has pointed out some simple labeling of what each part on the coil is might help to explain things a little further.
Very good job so far Keith. Who else agrees with me! :P

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Who else agrees with me! :P
Me!

I think the rendering is great, but I for one need to look up how to test a coil or at least have a good one to test next to the bad one to compare.
if there where some lables saying what the parts are and where to put a meter it would be 100%.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The text explanation is to come, But using a good coil and a bad one makes little sense, as the bad one will not have a reading on the meter, but may still work.