Proposed Guide Topics...

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Daryl

Re: THROTTLE CABLE

Post by Daryl »

To make a new throttle cable, you can use pushbike cable or what im using in the pics . This is salvaged car boot/hatch release cable & the inner is nylon coated. To cut use a cold chisel on soft iron. The parts at the end of the old cable can be unsoldered using an electric soldering iron. Re solder on to new cable using resin core solder NOT acid. If using the nylon coated inner cable some of it will need to be removed, just enought to facilitate the fitting of the throttle slide in the carby. It is realy a very easy job. The end pieces on the cable are only very small brass tubeing.
Seagull Cable.JPG
Seagull Cable2.JPG
Seagull cable3.JPG
Seagull Cable4.JPG
Daryl

Re:COMPRESSION Tester

Post by Daryl »

Picked this up about 18Yrs ago new for about $25 it has 14mm & 18mm fits a Seagull.
COMP Test.JPG
Daryl

Re: Removing Villiers Coils Pt1

Post by Daryl »

Some pics of removing a Villiers Ign coil, had toapply some heat to unsieze the screws, becarefull not to cook the coil. Where the screws are only the threads are sticking out, use 2 steel nuts not the brass ones as they are too soft. Lock the 2 nuts & try removing after applying some heat.
Villiers coil remov.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov2.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov3.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov4.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov5.JPG
Daryl

Re: Removing Villiers Coils Pt2

Post by Daryl »

Using wire cutters to grip the collar sticking up. Flat slotted screws use Impact Driver but make sure tip is a perfect fit in screw slots. If not grind the tip to fit.
Villiers Coil Remov6.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov7.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov8.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov9.JPG
Villiers Coil Remov10.JPG
charlesp

Re: Proposed Guide Topics...

Post by charlesp »

You're probably wondering where the parts list & manuals have gone.

I removed them because we have a policy here that we don't breach copyright on manuals etc. The printed material that was reproduced is less than 50 years old which is the limit as far as British Seagull are concerned.

John, who host this site for us, is a British Seagull supplier. He sells British Seagull manuals which he gets from BS themselves and as a consequence we don't give away free examples of what earns them their bread and butter.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

I think the guide should have a section about matching the bird to the boat - the old Seagull brochures had very helpful sketches showing cross section outlines of boats and the correct engine size and shaft length/transom heights.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Just a thought that might help an awful lot of newbies with their first gull.
A series of videos showing how to dismantle the entire powerhead in readiness for a full refurbishment. This i think would have to show how to remove a cylinderhead so as to clean out the waterjacket, an all too common problem these days it seems. Possibly the square blocks will be the easiest to show on a "how to" kind of video. Nothing fancy, just the basics.

Secondly videos showing how to dismantle the gearbox. We've all seen the horrors that lie within some of these gearboxes before havn't we? Dried up crud, grease :roll: and all manner of nasties.

Also something that might be useful to a new owner that knows absolutely nothing about their new purchase, a basic overview of what tools they might need to service and maintain their outboard. Again nothing fancy, just the basics.

Having been with the forum for the last few years the vast majority of questions being asked in the HELP SECTION seem to revolve around "how do i remove this" or "why don't i have a spark?" and so on. (some people it seems don't know how to navigate around the main SOS site and look in the FAQ's)
A few simple videos might help to free up more space and time and ultimately save more seagulls from ending up in the scrap bin.

I've found that from working in the public sector many people are more at ease with watching a video rather than trying to read another persons description of "how to"

What do we reckon to that? Any thoughts..

Jon
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

I'm in full agreement with the Video idea, Jon. I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of this Boating lark, and I find some of the language rather intimidating. It took me a couple of hours to find out what a 'skeg' was! Video's show what's being talked about at the time, which makes it far easier to understand what's going on, than just 'telling' me what I have to do. I'm actually a retired Mechanic, and I honestly don't understand some of the methods being explained in posts, because there seems to be a certain assumption on the part of those 'in the know' that the rest of us are beginning at a much more advanced level of skill than we actually have.
It was exactly how I learned whilst an Apprentice. The more experienced showed you how it was done, and you copied them.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm also a mechanic, although these days we're called "technicians"! (i miss the old days) I grew up with distributors and points, carbs and tappets, so this sort of "talk" comes easy to some of us.

I'm also of an age where i prefer to be shown how to do something rather than feeling sheepish and asking someone in the know and made to look stupid? :oops: Perhaps not the best way to learn. I'm still at the Janet and John stage with computers too, so quite a steep learning curve for me as well, but i think i'm getting there.....slowly :roll:
But you're right, not everybody will understand the terminology that gets talked about on the forum and elsewhere, so a few simple videos i think would be a great asset for this site and anyone wishing to use it.

Now then, who's up for making the videos then? (i'm rubbish behind a camera, so that counts me out)

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

My concern would be that they will encourage owners with less than required mechanical know how to attempt jobs that will cause them to punch above their weight. I'm a metal worker and have been on tools for 40 odd years and I still manage to sheer a fastener from time to time.

I don't know if you have reno reality shows over there but over here (oz) we do and a lot strife they cause. It makes peeps think it is easy and next thing you know they need to call in the experts to sort out their mess. Sure it will help for those that are hands on or have a trade but will cause havoc with your average KFC worker or the like. I've made a couple of videos but they are not endorsed by SOS or any other body and hence no responsibility taken.

Seagull has cast onto century heads "don't remove" with very good reason. How could a video impart on how many ft/lbs of torque to use to undo head bolts? We cant. Every motor is different with different levels of corrosion and damage. Some of us can, from experience, judge when to back off but video or the written word can never teach us that.

Have fun with youtube if you like but I think you should check with John first if it is going to be an SOS enterprise.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I fully agree with everything you're saying Hugz.
This was just an idea and in no way should be relied on as "the bible" when it comes to seagull outboards.
From time to time those that have access to the specific workshop manuals produced by BS end up scratching their heads when it comes to more in depth refurbishment or repair. Most people will know someone that knows someone else if and when they get stuck. Ask if you're not sure, but always ALWAYS seek further advice before attempting anything serious.
Sure, fasteners shear off (hence the warning on the cylinderhead) but obviously owner discretion needs to be applied accordingly.

Jon
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Whilst I agree with Hugz, I do believe a video series would be a good idea.

Those folks that are punching above their weight so to speak, well I wouldn't be too concerned about them no disrespect intended. My view is simply that if someone watches a 'how to' video and is confident they can do/repeat what is shown, then it's their call and they accept all responsibility.

First up however, I think fixing the issue of missing pics issue in this thread must be addressed.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

S if you read the second post on this page you will see where they went, & why, in 2011!

"Those who were punching above their weight" are this site's intended audience & is the reason I'm fighting the never ending war to keep it accurate & safe!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Another thing is that whoever fronts up to do a video series of "How To" will ultimately fail along the way.

By Fail I mean that a how to is only one example that has the workarounds for that particular Gull at that particular time.

Questions and answers via this site are immediate and with posted pics and details Every pertinent Q can be either answered right there and then or.....open up for everyone to have further discussion. Further discussion leads to everyone learning or verifying.

I know that most new users and owners do not read the FAQs first as they just want to jump right in.

Not reading and jumping in is Cool.................keeps us all on or metal aye?

Missing pics go back to the last "Site Down" and "A failed Server on a lackluster I.P.........they are gone.

As far as Guide Topics?

Nothing since April 27 2011.

Just a thought.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The way I look at it is, if you manage to make perfect videos on every aspect of how to restore a seagull, just post up and watch the videos, all the information will be in video form, it will also be on YouTube I suspect, so why would you need a forum any more, its all on video for anyone new that wants to restore a seagull.

I want to restore my seagull.
Model (say) SJP
(Picture posted)
So how do I do this?

Or

Good video.