A Tail Of Marston Woes

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JERSEYMAN

A Tail Of Marston Woes

Post by JERSEYMAN »

This happened to me several years ago and I feel it’s time to share this story of mine.
Probably like many of you I logged onto eBay and to my surprise a Marston OA popped up for sale, unusually there were two separate listings, an auction and a “Buy it Now”. On the buy it now listing the price was £400 plus £250 shipping, I contacted the seller MR. EDWARD JOHNSON as I could arrange the shipping myself, he told me because he was new to eBay he could only list a buy it now at a max of £400 were in reality he wanted £700 for the motor, at the time it was the most I had ever paid for a Marston.

I clicked the “Buy it Now” and paid £700 via PayPal.

The next day EDWARD JOHNSON contacted me telling me that he had problems with his PayPal and if could cancel the PayPal transaction and pay via bank transfer, stupidly I did and transferred £700 directly into his bank.

That was the last I heard of him, I never saw the motor, I had been conned!!
No replies to the emails I sent, I phoned and texted him with no reply at first then the number was disconnected. All this for £700, a lot of money but not worth going on the run for as I had his home address that eBay gave me when I paid using PayPal, I had his bank details as I did a bank transfer and his phone number.

I thought I had protection through eBay but MR. EDWARD JOHNSON cleverly cancelled the sale stating “we” had agreed to cancel, when I contacted eBay they didn’t want to know as there was no sale and no payment because I had cancelled the PayPal one and the bank transfer did not matter to them.

I contacted his bank and they didn’t want to know, they put me in touch with the police who basically stated that I can give my money to whoever I want and the fact I had no proof of any sale.

I’m sure I could have pushed it further but I’m not even in the same country, I often thought to pay him a little visit but it’s just not worth it, the best I can do is to warn others and stay vigilant as even in the Marston world there are crooks.

Here I’m posting some photos of the motor, screenshots of the transaction and of course his name, address and bank details.
If for some reason I’m incorrect with any of these details, please feel free MR. EDWARD JOHNSON of No.6 SCHOOL DRIVE, WELTON, LINCOLN, LN2 3LA to contact me and we can discuss this matter.
Attachments
FF3BF813-E7E0-4A40-BBEC-D41EEC6E4CAF.jpeg
220D32FC-B221-486F-B957-56FF1E988A0A.jpeg
E745C707-6911-4D21-89AC-F902094B966B.jpeg
84A9C945-E5D0-43D9-B41E-66177A8A3B8C.jpeg
Charles uk

Re: A Tail Of Marston Woes

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks for that Rene!

Shame about the wrong fuel tank, fuel cap & petrol tap.

That serial number has not ever been registered on the Marston Register, so it's still out there somewhere.

Our eyes are now open.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Re: A Tail Of Marston Woes

Post by Collector Inspector »

Reading that Rene it is obvious just how sneaky someone can be.

Thank you for telling the sad tale ... heads up to us all.

Was the OA prop shaft delivered?

Last I was able to track was in the UK....waiting...waiting

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others