Sjm restoration

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

never-outbored

Sjm restoration

Post by never-outbored »

Hi all,
I’ve been getting lucky with seagulls at boot sales, 2 in 2 weeks! Got a 1960 sjm,
67CBFEF3-E2EF-4E78-AAF9-3732DEDA375C.png
very attractive thing in my opinion if I can do it up right. Compared to some newer motors I’ve worked on so far (1970s and 80s), this one has proved a little trickier to work on. Some things that have stumped me so far are the cylinder head screws, which have a slot for a flathead screwdriver. Near on impossible to get out! If anyone can suggest a way to remove other than heat, wd40 and patience please let me know! As well as getting it running I want to replace the drive tube and give the flywheel some attention, particularly the cover. Has anyone successfully restored a “best outboard motor for the world” disc style cover. Scared I’ll remove paint aswell as corrosion. If anyone can give some tips on this also it’ll be much appreciated! I’ll keep you updated on my progress as it comes.
Ed
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Sjm restoration

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

As I was there in the dark with you before sunrise at the boot sale, when we heard a man in a van say "seagull" both of our ears pricked up.

Your response was " excuse me mate did you just say Seagull? "

It was a good buy after little negotiation, will have a dig in shed for a good chrome drive tube.

Motor has a very nice plain end tank and gearbox is free, if we can un-seize it then it may well be a keeper, shame Dover grip had recently fallen off.

If it had been a Marston I would have elbowed you out of the way :)

Look forward to the restoration.
never-outbored

Re: Sjm restoration

Post by never-outbored »

Fully freed up now H-A, let it sit with some wd40 in it, heated it for a while then repeated and the next morning it was free.

Elbows out is bad etiquette at a bootsale, as we all know :lol: