Gearbox swapping

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

never-outbored

Gearbox swapping

Post by never-outbored »

Hi all, i'm looking for some advice,
I'm thinking about doing bit of gearbox swapping, putting a 40 plus box with anti weed prop on to a silver century leg (not clutch driven). Obviously the exhaust tube on the 40 is smaller than the century, so I can't use the top plate that connects the crank and exhaust tubes, but the top plate ( forgive the lack of technical language ) from the silver century doesn't have a slot in it for the gear linkage.
Will a clutch driven century "top plate" marry up with both the crank and exhaust tubes of the silver century as well as the bottom plate of the 40 plus box? Is there a way of fitting the linkage through both plates? Will all the internals still fit?
Ed
Oyster 49

Re: Gearbox swapping

Post by Oyster 49 »

The gearboxes are identical I believe, so you can just swap the complete unit across. Not sure about the prop though, the century might be a slightly coarser pitch as its a more powerful powerhead.
John@sos

Re: Gearbox swapping

Post by John@sos »

The Century had a 5 blade Hydrofan, to absorb the extra power, the Forty Plus just 4 blades.

Sadly Seagull have no more WSPC waterpump housings, but I found out the other day, by a quick inspection, that the direct drive casting is the same, just without the 3/8th hole drilled for the clutch rod! Easily drilled!

John
SOS