Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fleetingcontact
Re: Roys second 102 series build

Post by fleetingcontact »

Roy, no email received.
african imp

Post by african imp »

fleetingcontact wrote:Roy, no email received.
That is odd as I received a copy and as I have just now with a reply to todays post to me.
Please advise receipt of my address.

Regards

Roy
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:Cast aluminium is less brittle after annealing.

And make sure the pinion bush locating screw is doing it's job properly & the crown wheel thrust washer is in place!
Thanks on the advice on the locating screw as I was wondering what the spare hole was for?

In the Seagull Owners Spares book, circa 1980, page 40 and section 3 shows the drawing for the 12:30 gear box and item 25 is the screw your talking about?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It might be as well to check the condition of all of the bronze bushes in this barge pusher lower unit, especially now you've bead blasted them, something I've always thought was the kiss of death to bearing surfaces!

If this box needs all new bearings, thrust washers & even just a pinion it's probably beyond economic repair by a long way!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:It might be as well to check the condition of all of the bronze bushes in this barge pusher lower unit, especially now you've bead blasted them, something I've always thought was the kiss of death to bearing surfaces!

If this box needs all new bearings, thrust washers & even just a pinion it's probably beyond economic repair by a long way!

My bead blaster is super kind to metal surfaces, the reason is the beads are tiny glass balls, not grit which will do what your thinking of I think?

Check the R17 Rootes Hillman Imp competition camshaft in an engine that I rebuilt, the surfaces where cleaned with the same machine and came out perfectly.
Attachments
R17 on Singer Sport 1966 engine.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

The tiny glass beads are round and soft to the touch, they have no sharp corners, unless you reuse them and some have broken?
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Yes they break & some of the broken bits/dust get semi embedded in the more malleable materials, only to reappear in the future, mixed with oil, home made grinding paste.

I wouldn't buy a Seagull that shows signs of bead blasting, take your 2.5:1 box, it's a box with oil seals, where the stainless bits pass through the oil seals & you've roughened the surface, the oil seal lips are going to wear much faster & your going to leave some beads in the oil ways around the pinion bearing that will get crushed by the gears, you wouldn't put a pinch of sand in with your fresh oil, would you?

The pinion bearing looks very worn on the thrust face on your 4:1 box, that might have done a lot of hours.

Doesn't everyone use their beads for many hours.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

OK got it, I'll get on the case.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Charles uk wrote:Yes they break & some of the broken bits/dust get semi embedded in the more malleable materials, only to reappear in the future, mixed with oil, home made grinding paste.

I wouldn't buy a Seagull that shows signs of bead blasting, take your 2.5:1 box, it's a box with oil seals, where the stainless bits pass through the oil seals & you've roughened the surface, the oil seal lips are going to wear much faster & your going to leave some beads in the oil ways around the pinion bearing that will get crushed by the gears, you wouldn't put a pinch of sand in with your fresh oil, would you?

The pinion bearing looks very worn on the thrust face on your 4:1 box, that might have done a lot of hours.

Doesn't everyone use their beads for many hours.

Cleaning is the key, I have put just about every part of the Hillman Imp motor into the cleaning cabinet, many engines included, no issues.

I do not use my beads for many hours, when that happens they turn to dust, I know as when the machine arrived about fiteen years back that was what was in it.
african imp

Post by african imp »

I will require a water pump body which allows the two down tubes to be parallel, is this possible?
Attachments
IMG_2601.JPG
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Roy

I have a good second hand gearbox all clean and complete and working with pump housing same as you're currently using with the 5 blade prop. Will need repainting though but its all there ready to go.
Do you want it? No good to me whatsoever

but just so you know this gearbox will work with your 102 take a look at this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SEAG ... :rk:2:pf:0
Just came across this listed on ebay currently.
Not really my thing despite being a 102 but i thought i'd show you the direction you've taken with your project will go together and still work.

send me a pm if you want the gearbox and anything else you can make use of.
african imp

Post by african imp »

blokewithaboat wrote:Roy

I have a good second hand gearbox all clean and complete and working with pump housing same as you're currently using with the 5 blade prop. Will need repainting though but its all there ready to go.
Do you want it? No good to me whatsoever

but just so you know this gearbox will work with your 102 take a look at this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SEAG ... :rk:2:pf:0
Just came across this listed on ebay currently.
Not really my thing despite being a 102 but i thought i'd show you the direction you've taken with your project will go together and still work.

send me a pm if you want the gearbox and anything else you can make use of.
Thanks on your kind offer, I will PM you to work on the cost of the postage?

It will have to be surface as before packing and without the water pump housing I see a weight of 2 kg, surface takes some eight weeks to arrive, that is due to the fact the post office will wait for a container to be filled before shipping?
Attachments
IMG_2611.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

Todays news is that the required Amal 2 jet carb that I need and was posted from the UK last sunday will be delivered to me on friday, I wait in hope.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Todays news is from Dawn Wing Couriers and not that good.

Dear Roy Mc Bride,

Please note that we have received your parcel from the UK. The parcel has been stopped by customs as a low value shipment. In order for us to release your parcel, kindly assist with the below documentation:

• Commercial invoice of items purchased or items being imported
• Proof of payment of items purchased ( In the form of a bank statement. Please block out any other values except those of the parcel)
• If items are second hand or no proof of payment is found, please write a letter to us explaining the reason for importing of the parcel
• Order confirmation of purchase of items
The above is required in order for customs to release your parcel. If a shipment comes in to the country exceeding R500.00 , the shipment attracts South African vat and duty charges to be paid and will be declared as a high value shipment.

Kind Regards,

Customs Low Value Stops Agent
Last edited by african imp on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
african imp

Post by african imp »

I quickly drafted a Word document as a letter and told customs the truth, the goods are valued at 10.00 pounds for customs purposes but in fact were a gift from a fellow British Seagull restorer.

This was the reply from Dawn Wing Couriers.

My hope of them clearing and a delivery to me for this week are fading fast :cry:

Hi Roy,

I have submitted the documents to customs.

Kind regards
Yolandre

Stops Stops