WW2 picture.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

WW2 picture.

Post by Keith.P »

I have been looking on the net at photos from WW2 just to see it I could find any evidence of a british seagull actually being used, A long shot I know, I have heard of stories about seagulls bing used in WW2, but that's all they are, stories.
I have been looking on and off for years, with no luck whatsoever, until last week I found a picture. It's not a seagull, but it maybe evidence of one having been used.
What do you think?
Oyster 49

Re: WW2 picture.

Post by Oyster 49 »

I think that has been posted before possibly 4-5 years ago at least. It seems to show the right sort of pontoon as used by bridging units, and the side mount as we know was used by the army. Interesting, slowly more and more WW2 pictures are emerging. I hope to go down to the IWM to look at their photo archive at some point. That looks like FBE boats.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/12/u ... equipment/
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Well that wasted of time then.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The previous pic was similar but was on bridge building on the Seine & was posted by H-A.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Keith.P wrote:Well that wasted of time then.
No it wasn't. Motivating even.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Always good to see these things! Those FBE boats were used all over the place, pontoon bridge, rafts etc very versatile piece of kit.

British Army of the Rhine assisting in the floods in Northern Germany 1962. Go to 39 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bY3F75Rp0
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Any guesses about model or bracket?
102 bracket.PNG
102 bracket.PNG (15.78 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

It's an SD with an army side mount, but fitted to the transom of course. This video is not new either I recall posting it some years ago.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've been taking a close look at this for some time now.
Stopping and starting the film, freeze framing, backwards and forwards etc. (39-43 seconds into the film)

I'm not so sure it is an SD you know. The tank mounts look a little off for an SD. The coolie hat is quite clear though. The bracket's not coming through with any clarity for me. I might be able to pick out a clutch lever (if i squint really hard) The positioning of the fuel cap needs to be clearer for me, but i think it looks sort of right for an SD. Can't quite make out the fuel pipe though.
The block however looks like it's got fins. Again, very difficult to say for absolute certainty.(late model marston perhaps)

I'd like to think it was an SD, but things being what they are it's still a bit "fuzzy" even with some basic "clean up" settings.

To that end i've now got my eldest son looking at this as he's a bit of a whizz with puta's. He's going to see what he can do to sharpen up the picture a bit more, but he needs his mate's help for this. This way we can go through it frame by frame in more detail. Next wednesday at the earliest for this, so a bit of a wait i'm afraid.

Wait and see
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Ok

I've looked a bit closer still.
The bracket might be what looks like a "Type B No1" going by my 62 war office paperwork.
But, things are still "fuzzy".

Keiths earlier pictures appear to be the same kind of bracket, possibly even a "Type B No2" judging by the deeper V shape.

Interesting stuff.

J
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Can you expand Jon on the difference between type A and type B brackets. First ive heard of that. I know there is the side mount one that has the ability to go forward and reverse and the more compact dutch made one.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There is a thrust block for the wartime bracket like the one you've seen Hugo that works like a later type thrust block not left or right but straight on.
I've got several side type & one straight but can't find it for a pic.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If the pontoons were lashed together side to side to make a pontoon bridge wouldn't it make more sense to mount the motor on the transom?

I can't think of any advantage of a side mount unless the pontoon was double ended, ok, l think I've just answered my own question.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You guys may as well be talking Chinese as I have absolutely no idea what any of you are on about.

So that has prompted a thought. Those of you that are more educated / informed than us relative newbies, it would be great if you could start threads on individual components eg transom brackets, barrels, gearboxes, magnetos, tiller grips, carbies etc etc and maybe place a description as to year range and what model seagull they may belong to.

My biggest problem with Seagulls is that whenever I'm looking at buying one, I never know if it is an original or a bitsa, so I've tended to shy away from numerous potential purchases.

I know there's no shortage of information here, and if I go searching, I may be able to answer many of my own questions, but with the loss of photos that occurred a couple of years back, I'm finding it very difficult.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com