SDP progress & curious SD finds

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

NaughtyBits

SDP progress & curious SD finds

Post by NaughtyBits »

SDP's getting there.
12642864_10153911283692813_358856262408758571_n.jpg
Brass inlet stub - factory or fix? The inlet port looks well cast & well machined at the point where it accepts the stub inside the port, though
12654409_10153911283582813_2368825294866278733_n.jpg
12644855_10153911283567813_1364429558776003015_n.jpg
Odd stub & incorrect bearings fitted in the crankcase, top & bottom. The SD's going to be a lot more fun to get back to spec..
12654151_10153911283572813_2912517233839113175_n.jpg
12670204_10153911283697813_1582995386037516779_n.jpg
Niander101

Re: SDP progress & curious SD finds

Post by Niander101 »

Incorrect bearings even ...what a purist! :P
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Yes, definitely pulling those out as soon as I'm able to machine a set to spec.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Impressive brass transom bracket!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

If I may ask the obvious here.......

What is incorrect about bearings please?

Original style may have been replaced with other sometime in the Old Dear's Life.

And the serial number is?

Interested is all.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

SD 5366L3 (short shaft, clutch, ministry stamp, no JM# on baseplate)

Odd casting features around the spark plug hole of the cylinder & brass inlet stub aside - yes, bearings have been replaced at some point with newer model ones. Well worn now.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

No such thing as a short shaft seagull. Standard or some models had the option of long.

SD "Standard" was actually longshaft. Many SDs seem to have been cut down to the same length as later post war standard shaft 102s.

Also SDs have the float bowl to the left, with the copper petrol pipe bent in 3D close to the exhaust. SDP has the bowl to the right with a straight plated fuel tube.

SDP is looking nice, I've never seen one with coolie hat and copper lid. What's the number?

The cylinders were cast and some sort of zinc dip applied, you can see the remains on your cylinder. The drive shaft tube were the same on SDs too, the finish is a bit like galvanised sheet.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You will see a short video clip of a SD in action on an army workboat in the Hamburg floods in the early 1960s

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=62650
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Oyster,

Thanks, yes - "Many SDs seem to have been cut down to the same length as later post war standard shaft 102s" - that's why I called it a 'short shaft'. But I take your point - I'll keep to proper terminology to avoid confusion.

SDP 8806LX
Flywheel # - JM 121697 (like the SD, no baseplate 'JM#' stamp - likely replaced at some point as there's no inner clamping ring either)

Both came quite incomplete (1 seized). The SDP did come with an ali hat but I haven't cleaned it up yet. Also much prefer the look of the copper, so may keep it for show. 1 I'd like to keep as close to original as I'm able and the other I'm looking to 'tune'. Haven't quite decided which yet.

Haven't quite decided what to do with the driveshafts yet (the one in the pic is just in place while I worked on cleaning & rebuilding the powerhead) - the one electroplater here unfortunately doesn't do Zinc plating. Although not 'original' I'm thinking chroming might be the best locally available option for long term protection, at least for the one I'm fixing up to use.

Likewise, I tend to replace all steel bolts/nuts/screws that I can with stainless - (made a new stainless strap for the throttle lever, too). And there's quite a few good products out there to help prevent the dissimilar metal issue. Otherwise it's just a constant losing battle with rust & corrosion in our climate.

Thanks for the tip re: float bowl locations & the vid.
Last edited by NaughtyBits on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I quite agree with shaft lengths.
Standard or long was all there was, unless some well meaning previous owner has had the angle grinder out at some point in it's life. (i do see the ODD 1 or 2 every now and then, not just with the "wartime" motors, but the later long waterjacket 102's too) Odd how some of these get "modified" over the years.

Slightly off topic here, i'm currently re-doing my own SDP and the mention of fuel lines came up. I've made up a copper fuel line bent to shape to closely resemble a later plated variant, float bowl on the right, but still in keeping with it's SD brethren it's polished. (i like it any way). We'll see how it goes later this year on the "canal run".

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The SDP engines seem generally to be towards the end of the SD serial range, and also seem to have a chrome drive tube and direct drive. My theory is that SDPs were sold privately around 1945 possibly using up stocks of short jacket cylinders in the early post war period, before the later D and C engines arrived.

No facts to back this up though. We just don't know.

I have a nickel fuel tube half made at home if you want it Jon, to suit the right hand float bowl. it's nickel or similar so looks right...
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes those SDs do bling up well. I have serial 2512 which has a copper top, brass carb and trumpet etc. To me the best seagull to own. All that nice brass etc.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Oyster where did you see the info that the SDP had a different fuel pipe & float bowl location, as CharlesP's & my researches never found any evidence for that being the case, & when used on a wartime bracket would restrict it's steering ability

I think Naughty's point was that his cylinder had that strange cast in circular boss just above the spark plug, hot dip galvanising like Naughty's was evident in about 50% of SD cylinders & might be a quick way of stress relieving the casting prior to machining rather than leaving outside to weather for 6 months, though his shows signs of it in the finished bore.

Perhaps Jon's database should contain the zinc coated question data.

I would agree with your shaft length comments with regard the SD & SDP's but the HSD because of it's longer lower unit giving a larger distance between the bracket & the prop shaft.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hopefully unlocked!
John
sos
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Nope still trying!
John
sos